Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m.
(Wilkes-Barre, PA) - Tonight, the Hershey Bears battle the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the second of three games this week for the Chocolate and White. Puck drop has been moved to 3:05 p.m. from its original start time of 7:05 p.m. due to pending winter weather conditions.
Hershey Bears (18-20-0-2) at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (19-17-4-1)
January 19, 2019 | 3:05 PM | Game 41 | Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza
Referees: Alex Garon (64), Mike Sheehan (74)
Linesmen: Ryan Knapp (73), Bob Goodman (90)
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 2:35 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV, Caps Radio 24/7
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
LAST TIME OUT: The Hershey Bears tied a season-high, three-game winning streak with a 1-0 overtime win over the Binghamton Devils on Wednesday night. Ryan Sproul scored the overtime winner after slipping behind the defense at the 3:20 mark. Ilya Samsonov recorded the 16-save shutout in the win. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were in action last night and dropped a 5-4 decision to the Rochester Americans. Anthony Angello (2), Jimmy Hayes and Adam Johnson scored for the Pens.
SEASON SERIES VERSUS PENS:
The Bears have won five of the previous eight meetings against the Penguins in the season series with a 5-2-0-1 record. Hershey is 3-1-0-0 this season at Mohegan Sun Arena, most recently winning 5-1 on Dec. 28, 2018. In the season series, Mike Sgarbossa has tallied seven points (four goals, three assists), as well as Aaron Ness (seven assists). Jayson Megna has also posted four goals in eight games against his former club this season. For the Pens, Teddy Blueger has averaged a point per game against the Bears with four goals and four assists.
Within Hershey's current three-game winning streak, Ilya Samsonov has recorded back-to-back shutouts. The rookie goaltender earned his first AHL shutout on Dec. 12 at Lehigh Valley after stopping 18 shots in a 3-0 win. Samsonov followed up the performance with a 16-save shutout in a 1-0 overtime win on Wednesday in Binghamton. The back-to-back shutouts are the first by a Bears goaltender since Pheonix Copley on Oct. 19 and 24, 2014. Ironically, Copley's first of the back-to-back shutouts also occurred in a 1-0 overtime win for the Chocolate and White on Oct. 19. Samsonov's current shutout streak stands at 127:07.
RIGHT TIME SPROUL:
Ryan Sproul enters tonight's game on a four-game point streak and has additionally recorded two game-winning goals in Hershey's previous three games. In Hershey's 3-0 shutout win over Lehigh Valley on Dec. 12, Sproul scored the eventual game-winner on Alex Lyon at 2:58 of the 2nd period. Wednesday night, Sproul scored the Bears first and only goal in overtime to beat the Devils. Since joining the Bears in early December, Sproul has appeared in 17 games and posted four goals, five assists. Since the calendar has turned over to 2019, the Mississauga, Ontario native has recorded points in five of six games.
TEDDY AGAINST THE BEARS:
Teddy Blueger is in his third season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and has performed well against the Bears. Entering tonight, Blueger has tallied 22 points (nine goals, 13 assists) in 27 games against the Chocolate and White. Last Saturday, Blueger saw a five-game point streak snapped in a 5-3 loss against the Charlotte Checkers. The Riga, Lativa native enters tonight with 10 points (seven goals, three assists) in his past nine games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Time Change for March 26 Road Game at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Announced
- Hershey Bears Weekly: Strong Play Continues Heading into March
- Fucale and Bears Blank Devils, 3-0
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 4 p.m.
- Clark and Leason Score Twice, Bears Double up Devils in Newark