McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters
LAVAL - The crowd of 5984 at Place Bell on Friday night got to witness Michael McNiven's first shutout of the season in the Laval Rocket's 1-0 victory over the Cleveland Monsters, who are in town for a back-to-back against the Rocket. Alex Belzile scored the lone goal for the Rocket, giving him nine points in his last 11 games and putting the Rocket within one point of a playoff spot.
Belzile netted his ninth of the season late in the opening frame to give the Rocket a 1-0 lead over their divisional rival by the end of the first period. Alexandre Grenier fed Belzile a pass that went through two Cleveland players, allowing him to simply re-direct the puck behind Cleveland's Jean-Francois Berube.
Michael McNiven had a busy second period, stopping all of the 11 shots sent his way. Over the first forty minutes of play he combined for 21 saves, and his performance in goal earned him the game's first star honours. Lukas Vejdemo came close to making it 2-0 for Joël Bouchard and his players in the second by skating around the Cleveland defender and sneaking his was to the opposite side of the crease, but Berube followed him through and made the save to keep the score locked at 1-0 after two periods of play.
"As a team we played good," said McNiven after the game. "Whether it was an active stick or blocking shots, it was a good team effort. That allowed me to play my game while they played theirs too."
The Monsters had two powerplay opportunities to tie the game in the first half of the final frame, but the Rocket's penalty killers maintained their 1-0 lead and went three-for-three on the night. Berube headed to the Cleveland bench for the extra attacker with 2:45 remaining, but the Monsters took a late penalty and were unable to avenge Laval's first period goal.
"We never made the second or third mistake," explained Bouchard post-game. "I find we protected ourselves very well."
LAV: Belzile (Grenier, Lamarche)
Goaltenders: LAV: McNiven (38/38) | CLE: Berube (11/12)
Rocket Powerplay: 0/2| Rocket Penalty Kill: 3/3
Three Stars: 1. Michael McNiven - LAV | 2. Maxim Lamarche - LAV | 3. Alex Broadhurst - CLE
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal