Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Jake Chelios scored his first goal as a Griffin, Wade Megan finished the night with three points and Harri Sateri registered 29 saves all to help guide the Grand Rapids Griffins to a 3-1 win over the Rockford IceHogs at BMO Harris Bank Center on Friday.
Sitting on Elm Street in Illinois, the arena has proved difficult for the Griffins (22-13-3-4) in past meetings as the victory snapped an eight-game winless streak in the building dating back to March 25, 2017. Grand Rapids' win over the IceHogs (16-18-3-5) puts it back in first place in the Central Division with 51 points, stationed above the second-ranked Chicago Wolves by one.
With their two-game tour of Illinois in the books, the Griffins return home to Van Andel Arena to kick off their Great Skate Winterfest event by hosting the Milwaukee Admirals at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Immediately following the game, players, coaches and staff will make their way to skate with friends and fans at Rosa Parks Circle in support of the Griffins Youth Foundation until 10 p.m. on Sunday night.
Two power play opportunities in the first period presented the IceHogs with multiple scoring chances, but it wasn't until just after the second expired that they managed to find twine. As Sateri knocked away a shot from Rockford's Victor Ejdsell, the puck rolled to the stick of William Pelletier on the doorstep. Pelletier quickly popped it behind Sateri's extended right leg at 17:38, solidifying an early advantage for the IceHogs.
That one-goal lead was erased just two minutes into the middle frame when Chelios tapped in his first goal of the season. To the left of the IceHogs' goaltender Kevin Lankinen, Megan battled for possession of the puck off a faceoff and sent it to Chelios above the left-wing circle. With a quick wrist shot, Chelios lofted the puck over Lankinen's left shoulder, evening the score.
Megan notched his second point of the night with the game-winning goal at 10:33 of the third period. As Matthew Ford cleared the puck from behind Lankinen's net, Matt Puempel picked it up and lobbed it over to Megan near the right-wing circle. From there, Megan buried it to give the Griffins their first lead of the game.
A late interference penalty to Grand Rapids gave Rockford one final power play of the night with 8:31 left in regulation. Despite the IceHogs' attempts to tie the game, Sateri and the Griffins' penalty kill unit remained stalwart as they advanced to a 3-for-3 finish on the night.
After the IceHogs pulled Lankinen for an extra attacker in the waning moments of the game, Megan tacked on his third point of the night. Chelios knocked the puck away from Rockford attackers in Grand Rapids' zone and Colin Campbell collected it, sending it to Megan. With three seconds left, Megan hit the empty net to clinch the Griffins' 3-1 win.
Notes: Lankinen finished the night with 21 saves...Rockford outshot Grand Rapids 30-24...In their most recent matchup on New Year's Eve at Van Andel Arena, the Griffins snapped a three-game winless streak (0-1-2-0) against Rockford with a 2-1 victory as Joe Hicketts tallied the game-winning goal with 4:44 remaining in regulation and Sateri made 31 saves...Chelios recorded his first point at Rockford on April 18, 2014.
Three Stars: 1. GRG Megan (two goals, assist); 2. GRG Sateri (W, 29 saves); 3. RFD Pelletier (goal)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Larry Figurski Wins AHL's James H. Ellery Memorial Award for Outstanding Media Coverage
- Griffins' "Put a Lid on It!" Program to Offer Drive-Thru Bike Helmet Distributions
- Griffins Youth Hockey Camp Postponed
- Griffins and Versiti Blood Center to Hold Blood Drive at Van Andel Arena Next Friday, June 26
- WXSP-TV to Air Special Rebroadcast of Griffins' 2017 Cup-Clincher this Saturday