Wolves Rally to Earn Point
ROSEMONT, Illinois -- The Chicago Wolves overcame a two-goal deficit early in the third period against the Rockford IceHogs, but eventually fell 3-2 in overtime on Saturday night at Allstate Arena in Illinois Lottery Cup action.
Rookie defensemen Dylan Coghlan and Erik Brannstrom scored power-play goals for Chicago (23-14-3-1) while goaltender Oscar Dansk (14-6-3) stopped 25 shots.
"I give our guys credit," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "Our execution on the 5-on-3 (power play) was excellent. 'Coghs' made a big shot and then 'Branny' made a great shot as well."
Graham Knott's goal at 1:29 of overtime won the game for Rockford (17-18-3-5) while Victor Ejdsell and Andrew Campbell also scored for the IceHogs. Netminder Anton Forsberg (8-8-1) made 36 saves in the win.
After a scoreless first period, Rockford took a lead at the 2:32 mark of the second period on Ejdsell's goal before doubling the lead at 6:51 when Campbell's shot from the left point beat Dansk over his left shoulder.
The Wolves struck just as quickly to start the third period, cutting the Rockford lead down to 2-1 after the IceHogs took two penalties nine seconds apart. Coghlan broke his stick on a slap shot, but because of the two-man advantage had time to get a replacement from the Wolves bench before returning to play and rifling a shot past Forsberg at 2:32.
Brannstrom tied the game up at two all just 46 seconds later on the same power play, sending a one-timer in from the center of the blue line at 3:18 for his fifth goal of his rookie campaign.
The Illinois Lottery Cup series is knotted 4-4 with four games to play. The Wolves host the IceHogs for the final time on Feb. 26.
The Wolves host the Milwaukee Admirals at 3 p.m. Sunday as part of a Family Sunday celebration that features GameWorks gameplay cards for the first 1,000 kids through the doors. To find the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.