Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson
LOVELAND, CO. - Andrew Agozzino and Mark Alt each netted a pair of goals, as nine different Eagles posted multiple points in Colorado's 7-3 win over the Tucson Roadrunners on Friday. Goaltender Pavel Francouz earned his 15th win of the season, stopping 34 of the 37 shots he faced in the contest. Colorado's seven goals established a new season high, as the Eagles built a 4-0 lead in the first period and never looked back.
Colorado started the first period scoring barrage when forward Cody Bass skated through the top of the left-wing circle before unfurling a shot that would beat Tucson goalie Hunter Miska to give the Eagles a 1-0 edge just 2:33 into the contest.
The lead would grow when forward Dominic Toninato collected a rebound at the side of the cage and stuffed the puck into the net to give Colorado the 2-0 advantage at the 10:13 mark of the opening frame. The onslaught would continue 1:21 later when Agozzino swatted a puck out of mid-air from the top of the crease to make it a 3-0 Eagles lead. The goal would also chase Miska from net, as he would give way to Adin Hill for the remainder of the contest.
Less than two minutes after the Roadrunners made the change in net, Alt would chase down his own rebound in the slot and snap a shot that would beat Hill and put the Eagles on top, 4-0 with 6:51 left to play in the first period.
Leading 4-0 after 20 minutes of play, Colorado started the second period by staying on the muscle, as an early power play would set up Agozzino to pick up a rebound in the low slot and feed it into the net to stretch the Eagles advantage to 5-0 just 1:19 into the middle frame.
Tucson would finally jump on the board when a power play led to a shot from the top of the right circle from forward Michael Bunting that would light the lamp and trim Colorado's lead to 5-1 at the 3:43 mark of the period.
Heading into the third period of play, Tucson would again cut into the deficit when Bunting created a turnover and sprinted down the ice on a shorthanded breakaway before beating Francouz to trim the Eagles advantage to 5-2 at the 4:02 mark of the final frame.
Alt would claim his second goal of the evening just minutes later when he grabbed a drop-pass inside the blue line and stepped into a slapshot that would hit the back of the net and put Colorado on top, 6-2 with 13:18 remaining in the contest.
A Tucson power play would get the Roadrunners back on the board, as forward David Ullstrom sniped a wrister from the right-wing circle to cut the Eagles lead to 6-3 at the 12:24 mark of the third period.
Colorado would have one more goal left in the tank, as forward A.J. Greer would settle a rebound in the slot and sweep the puck past Hill to give the Eagles a 7-3 lead with only 3:26 left in regulation.
Colorado finished the night going 1-for-6 on the power play, while Tucson picked up one goal on five opportunities on the man-advantage.
Colorado concludes its four-game homestand when they host the Tucson Roadrunners on Saturday, January 19th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement
- Colorado Eagles Announce Eighth Annual "Pot of Gold" Recipient
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest