Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night
Bridgeport, CT - The Providence Bruins fell to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in a shootout Saturday night 4-3 after their fourth trip of the season to Webster Bank Arena. The P-Bruins scored their goals from Jordan Szwarz, Marc McNeill and Zach Senyshyn while Dan Vladar made his 19th start of the season in net.
Only five minutes into the 1st period Captain Jordan Szwarz lit the lamp for Providence at 5:47 with the primary assist by Karson Kuhlman, and secondary by Urho Vaakanainen. Bridgeport wasn't far behind when Kieffer Bellows netted a goal at 14:25 to tie the game five minutes before the end of the 1st period. The P-Bruins stayed on the defensive keeping the puck out of the Sound Tigers possession until the clock ran out at the end of the first.
Starting off the 2nd period with a 1-1 tie, Mark McNeill with helpers Paul Carey and Kyle Cumiskey, was able to slip through the Sound Tigers defense on a power play, maneuvering the puck past Christopher Gibson and into the back of the net at 00:44. Providence kept a good pace throughout the rest of the period, finishing out the 2nd with a breakaway goal by Zach Senyshyn at 16:27, taking a 3-1 lead into the 3rd at Bridgeport.
The Sound Tigers, determined to make a final period comeback net a goal by Ben Holmstrom at 00:24, followed by another goal by Holmstrom only seconds later at 3:10. The P-Bruins continue back and forth throughout the rest of the 3rd, running the clock out and moving out of regulation and into overtime. After a scoreless 4 minutes, Tanner Fritz won the shootout sealing a win for Bridgeport.
Vladar stopped 12 shots while Gibson stopped 29. Providence was 1/5 on the power play and 5-5 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins conclude their week of play Monday at the Dunk when they welcome the Hartford Wolf Pack to town for a 3:05 p.m. face off. The game was originally scheduled for Sunday, but was rescheduled due to inclement weather.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.