Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado
Game #36 - Tucson (20-11-3-1) at Colorado (18-14-3-1)
7:05 PM MST, Budweiser Events Center, Loveland, Colorado
Referees: #86 Chris Brown, #54 Olivier Gouin
Linesmen: #86 Lucas Bisbee, #34 Robert Keltie
An immediate opportunity for retribution presents itself tonight as the Roadrunners play the second of their back-to-back set against the Colorado Eagles; Tucson vies for a weekend split before transitioning into its season-long six-game home stand.
Depending on how you analyze, there's usually positive to take from seemingly unfortunate outcomes. Three players put forth multi-point performances last night, highlighted by Michael Bunting's first two-goal game of the season.
Both of Bunting's goals came via special teams; his first on the power play and his second on the penalty kill (above), which served as the Roadrunners' second shorthanded goal of the season.
Defenseman Dakota Mermis and forward Brayden Burke each finished the evening with two assists.
Seeing his first AHL action since November 21 after coming in for relief of Hunter Miska with 8:26 remaining in the first period Friday, Adin Hill stopped 26 of the 30 shots he faced in 48:26 of action. Hill's 26-save total was a season high in a Roadrunners uniform.
The Roadrunners come into the evening situated at third-place in the Pacific Division with 44 points. The two teams that surround Tucson in the standings, the second-place San Diego Gulls (45 points) and the fourth-place Bakersfield Condors (41 points), meet tonight at Pechanga Arena San Diego for a 8:00 PM MST scheduled puck drop.
The Eagles, ranked in the bottom-third (22nd - 3.00 GF/Game) of the league in goals per game, have scored five or more in four of their last five contests.
THREE THINGS NO LOVE IN LOVELAND: With Friday night's loss, the Roadrunners have yet to win a game at Colorado's Budweiser Events Center this season, posting a 0-3-0-0 record as visitors to the Eagles, losing 3-2 on November 2, 5-1 on November 3, and 7-3 on December 19. Overall, Colorado has earned points in 15 of its 19 games played at home, going 12-4-2-1.
SPECIAL STUFF: Since the return from the holiday break, the Roadrunners have converted on the power play in five of seven games played, going 7-for-31 overall during that span, a 22.6% conversion rate. Tucson enters the night 22nd overall in the AHL, finding the back of the net on 17.0% of its power plays (28-for-165).
WEEKEND WARRIORS: The Roadrunners are a favorable 9-4-0-0 on Saturdays this season, including a 5-2-0-0 clip on the road. In back-to-back situations on the sixth day of the week, and with zero days rest, the team has gone 8-6-1-0.
NUMBER TO KNOW FOUR: Forward Brayden Burke leads all Roadrunners in points registered against Colorado this season, totaling four (1G, 3A) in five games played against the Eagles.
GAMEDAY VIDEO [embedded content]
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE You can catch tonight's action at Brother John's Beer Bourbon & BBQ, the official watch party location for all Roadrunners road games during the 2018-19 season. A live telecast is available on AHLTV; Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny will have the radio call on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson, with coverage starting at 6:45 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.