Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (23-8-1-3) welcomed the Texas Stars (21-13-3-2) (Dallas Stars) to SAP Center at San Jose for the first and only time this season on Friday evening. San Jose bested Texas 6-1 in the only other meeting back on October 27th. The Stars and Barracuda battled throughout the contest, but San Jose used two first period goals to hold on for a 2-1 victory.
The first period opened with heavy pressure from the Stars, but it was the Barracuda who would break through for the game's first goal. After San Jose successfully killed off a penalty, Matt Fonteyne (3) won a battle in the offensive zone and sniped a shot top corner short-side from below the right circle to give the Barracuda a 1-0 lead at the 3:59 mark of the first. Despite being heavily outshot in the period, San Jose would extend their lead to two on a power play with 2:48 remaining in the first. Jayden Halbgewachs (10) was able to double the Barracuda's lead with a falling wrister through traffic from below the hashes.
San Jose ended up being outshot 20-to-9 in the opening period, however they carried a 2-0 lead into the second frame. With 15:11 remaining in the second period, the Stars capitalized on their third power play opportunity and trimmed the deficit to one. Gavin Bayreuther (3) took advantage of a screen and scored on a wrist shot from the right point to give the Stars their first tally of the night.
The Barracuda hunkered down and killed a crucial third-period-penalty to preserve the 2-1 victory. San Jose's defensive effort was headlined by Josef Korenar who made 40 saves in his fourteenth win on the season.
The win extended the Barracuda's Pacific Division lead to five points over the second place San Diego Gulls. Next up for the Barracuda is a meeting with the Bakersfield Condors (Edmonton Oilers) inside SAP Center at San Jose on Monday, January 21st. Puck drop is set for 7PM and all the action can be heard live on 1220 KDOW, the Sharks App, and watched at watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.