Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout
(Allentown, PA) ... Despite tying the game with just over six minutes left in regulation and registering a season-high 51 shots on goal, the Rochester Americans (24-13-2-1) could not take the lead as they fell 3-2 in a shootout to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (22-15-2-2) to close out their three-game road swing Saturday night at the PPL Center.
Despite the shootout loss in Allentown, however, the Amerks were able to earn a valuable point to reclaim sole possession of the top spot in the AHL's North Division standings. Rochester has also now picked up 13 points in seven of its last 10 games, including three out of a possible four this weekend.
Amerks forwards Kevin Porter (1+1) and Wayne Simpson (0+2) each turned in a multi-point effort while Matt Tennyson tallied his second goal of the campaign. Goaltender Adam Wilcox stopped 22 of 24 shots he faced but was handed the loss. The game also featured the Amerks debut of forward Taylor Leier, who was acquired via trade just two days ago from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Justin Bailey. Leier recorded one shot in the loss against his former team.
Connor Bunnaman and Greg Carey each found the back of the net for Lehigh Valley, which shows a 3-6-1-0 record in its last 10 games, while netminder Alex Lyon made a career-high 49 shots to improve to 10-9-1 on the season.
At the conclusion of the overtime period, the Amerks, who held a 51-24 shot advantage, and the Phantoms needed the shootout to determine a winner as the game was tied at 2-2.
Lehigh Valley elected to shoot first in the skills competition and Mike Huntebrinker converted in the opening round t put the pressure on Rochester's C.J. Smith, Victor Olofsson and Simpson. Lyon, however, stood tall like he did for most of regulation, securing the Phantoms the extra point.
The game was scoreless for the first 25:39 until Bunnaman gave Lehigh Valley its first lead of the night as he beat Wilcox on a breakaway opportunity. The Amerks, however, quickly responded less than two minutes later and tied the game at 1-1.
The Phantoms tried to carry the puck out of their own zone but Smith, who entered the contest riding a season-long five-game point streak, forced a turnover just outside the blueline. Gathering the puck in transition, Simpson sprinted into the offensive zone on a 2-on-1 rush with Porter. Simpson fired a shot off the right pad of Lyon but Porter buried the rebound for his seventh goal of the year.
With his secondary assist, Smith pushed his point streak to a career-best six games and has posted 16 points (9+7) over his last 11 games dating back to Dec. 14, including a four-point effort last Saturday in Toronto.
It appeared the contest was heading into the second intermission tied at 1-1, but prior to the buzzer, Carey reclaimed Lehigh Valley's one-goal lead as he scored his team-leading 19th goal of the season off a one-time feed from Mike Vecchione.
Facing a one-goal deficit midway through the final 20 minutes of regulation, Tennyson forced the contest to go beyond regulation as the blueliner knotted the score at 2-2 at the 13:49 mark of the period.
Moments after failing to score on their seventh power-play of the night, Simpson weaved his way into the offensive zone and handed a pass to Porter at the left half-wall. As the Amerks team captain shifted in-between the face-off dots, he connected a pass to Tennyson, who wired a shot over the shoulder of the opposition's goaltender.
The extra session saw the Amerks double the Phantoms in shots yet again, but the hosts prevailed in the shootout on Huntebrinker's eventual game-winner in the first round.
The Amerks return to action for their final three games before the All-Star break beginning on Wednesday, Jan. 23 when they host the intrastate rival Binghamton Devils at The Blue Cross Arena at 7:05 p.m. The contest will be carried live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: Porter (7), Tennyson (2)
LV: Bunnaman (12), Carey (19), Huntebrinker (SO GWG)
ROC: Wilcox - 22/24 (SOL)
LV: Lyon - 49/51 (W)
ROC: PP (0/7) | PK (2/2)
LV: PP (0/2) | PK (7/7)
1. Alex Lyon ()
2. Mike Huntebrinker ()
3. Greg Carey ()
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery
- Redmond's Return Powers Amerks to 4-2 Win over Monsters
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police Stations Thursday Afternoon