Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica
The Belleville Senators scored five unanswered goals to beat the Utica Comets 5-2 Saturday afternoon.
The Sens had goals from Morgan Klimchuk (2), Darren Archibald, Cody Goloubef and Max McCormick while Marcus Hogberg made 21 saves. Utica's Jonathan Dahlen and Zack MacEwen scored while Michael Leighton turned aside 24 shots.
Tied at 2-2 after 20 minutes, after Belleville had erased an early deficit in the first, the Sens took its first lead of the afternoon through Archibald who was returning to Utica for the first time since being traded at the start of the month as he was left all alone out front at 6:20 to also bury his first goal in a Belleville jersey.
It was another first for Belleville on the team's fourth goal as defenceman Cody Goloubef also notched his first goal in a Sens jersey as he scored at 10:00 on the man advantage for a 4-2 lead.
The Senators limited Utica to eight shots in the third period with Hogberg never being overly tested and Belleville iced the game with 2:43 left as McCormick buried an empty-net goal from inside his own blue line as he tucked home his fifth goal of the campaign.
It was a disastrous start to the first period for the Sens who found themselves down by a pair of goals inside the opening eight minutes. Dahlen opened the scoring on the power play as he tipped in Evan McEneny's point shot at 4:07 before MacEwen made it 2-0 at 7:48 with his 16th of the season.
The lead could have been 3-0 if not for Hogberg who denied Cam Darcy on a penalty shot after Aaron Luchuk had been penalized and Belleville found themselves back in the game at 16:24 as Klimchuk notched his third goal with Belleville on a lethal wrister at 16:24 that was in and out of the net in the blink of an eye.
Klichuk had his second of the afternoon at 18:29 as he redirected a Drake Batherson pass past Leighton on the power play as the Sens erased a first period two-goal deficit.
Sens forwards Joseph LaBate and Chase Balisy played in their 44th straight game, setting a new ironman franchise record for the team. Puck drop for today's game was moved from 7pm to 2pm due to the snow storm that is hitting North East USA and Canada.
The Sens are back in action on Jan. 25 when they host the Toronto Marlies. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- TSN1200 to Provide Broadcast Coverage of All Belleville Senators Home Games
- Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History
- Belleville Senators Sign Goaltender Tye Austin to An Amateur Tryout
- Belleville Senators Announce Temporary Relocation for Home Games for 2020-21 Season
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket February 19th