Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Dillon Dube's third goal of the season tied the game at four apiece late in the third period, allowing Stockton to steal a point in a 5-4 overtime loss Friday night at Bakersfield. Alan Quine led the Stockton attack with three points, including the game's first goal and a pair of helpers - highlighted by the primary assist on Dube's overtime-producing lamp lighter - but Cooper Marody's marker just 58 seconds into the extra frame gave the home team the extra point in the standings. The back-and-forth game saw Stockton take the game's initial lead until back-to-back scores from Bakersfield before the first intermission. The Heat countered with two-straight of their own, from Kerby Rychel and Tyler Graovac, both on the power play, to jump on top 3-2 through 40 minutes of play. Bakersfield answered with two-straight of its own, putting the pressure on the visiting team until Dube's tying goal with four minutes and change left in regulation. The game saw five power play goals, three from Stockton and two from Bakersfield, as the Pacific Division foes combined to go 5-for-11 on the man-advantage.
W: Shane Starrett (20 shots, 16 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (36 shots, 31 saves)
Three Stars: First - Cooper Marody (1g,3a), Second - Joe Gambardella (1g,1a), Third - Josh Currie (1g,1a)
Final Shots: STK - 20, BAK - 36
Power Plays: STK - 3-6, BAK - 2-5
- Alan Quine got the scoring started, his second goal in as many nights and sixth in six games. Stockton snapped a skid of nine-straight games of conceding the opening goal, last scoring first on Dec. 22 at Iowa.
- The Heat cashed in on a pair of power plays in the second period to take a 3-2 lead through 40 minutes. Goals in the second came from Kerby Rychel, his team-best seventh power play tally of the season, and Tyler Graovac, who has 10 goals over Stockton's last 13 games.
- Dillon Dube's third goal of the season pushed the game to overtime, a power play strike with 4:19 left in regulation. It was the fifth-straight power play goal in the contest.
- With three points in the game, Quine claimed the team's lead for scoring on the year with now 34 points.
- Stockton is now 4-4 in games decided in overtime this year.
- The game was the first time this season Stockton did not take two points when leading after 40 minutes.
The Heat return to Stockton Arena on Saturday for the Teddy Bear Toss game against the Texas Stars, which will be followed by a Monday afternoon game against Colorado - a 1 p.m. puck drop on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day that features a Mayor Michael Tubbs bobblehead giveaway.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Dallas Stars Announce Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Hill's 21-Save Shutout Vaults Tucson to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar Adds Support in Griffins' 3-0 Win against Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Downs Ontario 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Lyon Makes Career-High 49 Saves in Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Rally to Earn Point - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Doubles up Reign - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Edged by Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Holmstrom's first two goals of the season propel Bridgeport to shootout win on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Falls to Bridgeport 4-3 in Shootout Saturday Night - Providence Bruins
- Driedger Stops Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Fall to Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Take Second of Back-To-Back 5-4 in Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Driedger Dominant in T-Birds Shutout Win in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- San Diego Gulls Sign Matt Berry to One-Year Contract - San Diego Gulls
- Checkers Roar Back to Snag Point in OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- Moose Even Record with 4-1 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Beaten by Bears, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Storm Back, Shock Rocket in Shootout, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Win Snow Day Affair over Pens, 5-3 - Hershey Bears
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Utica - Belleville Senators
- Comets Allow Five Unanswered Goals in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Marlies Kick off Five-Game Road Trip in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Game #36 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Take on Texas Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Defenseman Dan Fick Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Tolkinen to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick - San Diego Gulls
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 19 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins on Star Wars Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch and Binghamton Devils January 19 Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- Tonight's Game vs. Syracuse Postponed to February 26 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Grab Early Lead, Falter Down Stretch against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fend off Stars, Collect 2-1 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Outscore Wild - Ontario Reign
- Big Deficit Squashes Roadrunners' Rebound Efforts in 7-3 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stars Drop Close 2-1 Decision in San Jose - Texas Stars
- Iowa Falls to Ontario 6-5 - Iowa Wild
- Marody Nets OT Winner for Condors in 5-4 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton Steals Point in OT Loss Friday - Stockton Heat
- Chelios, Megan and Sateri Guide Griffins to 3-1 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McNiven Backstops Rocket to 1-0 Victory over Monsters - Laval Rocket
- Eagles Score Season-High Seven Goals in 7-3 Win over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.