Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack
Binghamton, NY - The Utica Comets fell behind early and were plagued by the efficient scoring of the Binghamton Devils as they fell by a 5-1 margin on Saturday night at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
Needing less than a minute to get the scoring started, the Devils used a shot-block that turned into a breakaway to take a 1-0 lead. Ben Street stepped in the way of a long slap shot, allowing him to counterattack up the ice without being contested. On the breakaway, he fired a shot over the right leg of Richard Bachman to earn his 11th goal of the season. Minutes later, the Binghamton lead was doubled, with Julian Melchiori getting in on the scoring. Sneaking to the slot, Melchiori re-directed a feed from Joey Anderson that fluttered into the top corner of the goal.
The Comets withstood the pressure the rest of the way in the first, but they surrendered a season-high 21 first period shots, and went into the first intermission facing a 2-1 deficit.
The Devils maintained their firm grip on the game through the second period, padding their lead with three more goals during the frame. Ryan Schmelzer earned a breakaway tally during a span of four-on-four play at 1:24, Fabian Zetterlund added a power play goal at 11:21, and Dakota Mermis did the same at 19:58 as the Devils generated a 5-0 advantage through the first 40.
Plugging away in the third period, Utica broke through with a net-crashing play from Seamus Malone and got on the board 7:04 in. After receiving a pass from Sven Baertschi, Reid Boucher hit the brakes on the right wing side and fired a shot towards the goal that Gilles Senn kicked away with the right leg. Following the play, Malone crashed the net with his stick on the ice and forced the rebound over the line for his first of the year.
Malone's goal was the only of the night for the Comets, who were handed a 5-1 loss on the road.
The Comets return to action Wednesday on the road against the Belleville Senators. Puck drop at CAA Arena is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.