Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (11-11-1-4) returned home on Saturday night and defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack (16-5-2-5) 4-2 to earn their first victory of December in front of a sold-out PPL Center. The Phantoms offense finally broke out with four goals from four different players as Chris Bigras, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Gerry Fitzgerald and Maksim Sushko all lit the lamp in the win.
After meeting Friday night in Hartford, where the Wolf Pack collected a 4-0 win, the Phantoms and Wolf Pack made the 200-mile journey to Allentown for the second part of a home-and-home weekend series. The Phantoms entered Saturday night's contest looking for their first victory of the month but would have to do it against the AHL Atlantic Division leaders in Hartford while also playing the second game of a three-game weekend.
The fans didn't have to wait long to throw their Teddy Bears as Chris Bigras scored against his former team just 1:22 into the game to bring the stuffed animals raining down from the sold-out PPL Center crowd. The goal was his second of the season, as he sent a shot from the point past a screened Adam Huska to give Lehigh Valley a 1-0 lead and get the fun started early on Saturday. Kurtis Gabriel and Nate Prosser earned assists on the goals. The Teddy Bears were all collected and will be counted and delivered to Valley Youth House on Monday.
The Phantoms made it a 2-0 lead in the final five minutes of the period when on the penalty kill. Forwards German Rubstov and Nic Aube-Kubel were able to race down the ice turning a 3-on-2 into a 2-on-1 before Rubstov fed a perfect pass to Aube-Kubel who went forehand to backhand before depositing the puck into the net for a shorthanded goal. The tally was Aube-Kubel's fifth of the season. For Rubstov, it was his sixth assist on the season and first point since returning from injury. Defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon also earned an assist on the goal.
The first period also saw strong performances from the Phantoms penalty kill and goalie J-F Berube. The Phantoms killed off three penalties in the opening 20 minutes including a full two minutes of 5-on-3 hockey. Berube, on the other hand, stopped all 10 shots Hartford sent his way in the first period.
The second period of the game was quiet on the goal front with neither team lighting the lamp. The shots in the period ended up even at eight a piece with both goalies standing tall including several big saves from Berbue to keep the Phantoms lead at 2-0.
In the third period, Hartford quickly made it a 2-1 game in the opening minutes as forward Ryan Groop beat Berube with a backhander. With under 10 minutes to go in the third, the Phantoms extended their lead back to 3-1 when Gerry Fitzgerald rocketed a slap shot from the left circle past Huska. The goal marked Fitzgerald's second goal of the season with assists on the play coming from Reece Wilcox and T.J Brennan.
The Wolf Pack wouldn't go quietly in the third as forward Vinni Lettieri cut the Phantoms lead back to one goal when he sniped a one-timer over Berube's shoulder. The Phantoms, however, sealed the deal on their victory when Maxim Sushko scored an empty-net goal from center ice to extend the lead to 4-2 with under two minutes to play. The goal marked Sushko's fourth of the season while Wotherspoon earned his second assist of the night. Also earning an assist on the goal was goaltender J-F Berbue.
LV (1:22) Chris Bigras (2) (Gabriel, Prosser)
LV (15:57) Nic Aube-Kubel (5) (Rubstov, Wotherspoon)
HFD (2:22) Ryan Groop (1) (Gettinger, Nieves)
LV (11:38) Gerry Fitzgerald (2) (Wilcox, Brennan)
LV (18:24) Maxim Sushko (4) (Wotherspoon, Berube)
1st: Chris Bigras (1 goal)
2nd: Nic Aube-Kubel (1 goal)
3rd: J-F Berube (26 saves, Win)
Next Time Out: The Phantoms play each of their next four games on the road starting on Sunday when they travel to take on in-state rival, the Hershey Bears. It will be the final game of three-straight for the Phantoms. The Phantoms will then return to the PPL Center to wrap up 2019 as they take on the Utica Comets on December 28th and the Hershey Bears on December 29th.
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms Teddy Bear Toss Night
Lehigh Valley Phantoms Teddy Bear Toss Night
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.