Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday
HERSHEY, Penn. - Kieffer Bellows scored for the third straight game in his 100th professional contest on Saturday, but the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (10-15-3-1), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, suffered a 5-2 loss to the Hershey Bears (13-9-2-3) at Giant Center.
Andrew Ladd also collected his fifth goal of the season and Jeff Kubiak had two assists. The loss dropped Bridgeport to 1-1-0-0 against Hershey this season.
Brian Pinho, who also skated in his 100th pro game on Saturday, opened the scoring just 1:49 into the first period with his fourth goal of the year. He charged ahead and completed a give-and-go with Axel Jonsson-Fjallby down the left wing before deflecting the return pass from the doorstep behind goaltender Jakub Skarek.
Bellows answered with his sixth goal in eight games at the 7:48 mark to tie the game at 1-1. Bellows stickhandled below the Bears' goal line and sent a pass to the crease, where it redirected off of a Hershey defenseman who was battling in front with Colin McDonald. Kyle Burroughs and Kubiak each earned a helper.
Bears leading scorer Mike Sgarbossa got a fortunate bounce at 11:44 to put Hershey back on top with his 10th goal of the year. Sgarbossa entered the Sound Tigers' zone and attempted to set up Garrett Pilon on the right side, but his pass redirected off of Seth Helgeson's reaching stick and made its way past Skarek.
Just 54 seconds later, Philippe Maillet made it 3-1 with a point-blank shot in front of Skarek. Liam O'Brien gained possession behind the goal line, took it to the side of Bridgeport's net and guided a pass to Maillet for a one-time goal. It was Maillet's fourth of the season at 12:38.
Ladd kept the Sound Tigers close with his fifth goal of the season just 86 seconds into the second period. Kubiak set up Parker Wotherspoon at the left point where he quickly filtered a shot to the net that Ladd deflected in.
However, the Bears ended the frame with two goals 14 seconds apart to pull ahead 5-2. Former Islander Matt Moulson registered a power-play goal at the 5:59 mark, cleaning up Sgarbossa's initial shot that hit the back of Helgeson, before O'Brien's sixth of the year came shortly after.
The Sound Tigers had five power-play opportunities in the third period, including a couple of lengthy 5-on-3 chances, but couldn't solve goaltender Vitek Vanecek again. In fact, Bridgeport outshot Hershey 21-8 in the final two periods.
The Sound Tigers finished the evening 0-for-6 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the kill. Bridgeport outshot Hershey 26-18 overall.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers return to Webster Bank Arena on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. puck drop against the Syracuse Crunch. Fans can follow all of the live action via the Sound Tigers Radio Network and AHLTV, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
Sound Tigers season tickets and flex plans are on sale now for the 2019-20 campaign, offering the greatest savings and ultimate flexibility of all ticket packages. Pick between a full-season, 20-game, or 10-game plan and you'll also be entitled to exclusive benefits, including the ticket holder exchange policy. Lock in your seats today by contacting Brad Dworin at 203-345-4813 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Sound Tigers Announce Schedule, 2021-22 Season Ticket Memberships
- Helgeson, Kubiak, Brown, Pastujov Agree to Terms
- Islanders Sign Greer, Ho-Sang, Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon
- NCAA 2023 Division I Men's Hockey Regionals Coming to City of Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena
- Czarnik and Hutton Agree to Two-Year Deals