Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best
Using multiple power play goals and a strong performance in net from Adin Hill, the Roadrunners extended their win streak to six games for the first time in franchise history Saturday night with a 3-1 win over the Texas Stars.
Saturday night's scoring began with the fourth point in as many games for Jeremy Gregoire, who jammed home a loose puck on a third-effort in front to give Tucson a first period lead.
While Texas would even the score before the first intermission by way of a power play goal, the Roadrunners answered with a goal of their own on the man advantage to start the second. Michael Bunting twisted a feed behind his back to Andy Miele, who was left unprotected on the back door, serving as the game-winning goal.
Miele's tally was the first of two on the power play Saturday night for the Roadrunners, as the insurance goal also came on the man advantage from Beau Bennett. A fake slap shot from Vili Saarijarvi earned him his first point as a member of the club, instead opting to pass to a streaking Bennett through the circles for his fifth of the season.
The star of the evening for the winning club was undoubtedly goaltender Adin Hill though. With several timely saves that kept his team in the lead, the 6-foot-6 netminder went 21 of 22, denying every even strength chance thrown his way.
THEY SAID IT
"We made a couple adjustments, obviously because we had to due to the recalls, but it seems to be the right adjustment to each power play. We're extremely happy that both units got a goal tonight because special teams are so important."
Roadrunners forward, alternate captain and goal scorer Andy Miele discussing the special teams units that lost two of their top performers, Brayden Burke and Robbie Russo, within the last few days to the Coyotes.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
Four games, three total goals allowed.
The defensive group and goaltenders were the best of the best over the course of this four-game swing against a fair of tough Central Division opponents. Keep in mind, entering Saturday's game, Texas was 8-1-1 in their last ten, the second hottest team in the AHL only to the ... Tucson Roadrunners.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.