Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets
BINGHAMTON - Ben Street scored just 51 seconds into the game to set off Teddy Bear Toss and the Binghamton Devils cruised to a 5-1 win over the visiting Utica Comets in front of 3,320 at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
Teddy bears flew onto the ice just 51 seconds into the game as Ben Street scored his 11th goal of the season for the Devils. Street raced down the ice on a breakaway, flinging the puck past goaltender Richard Bachman. The unassisted goal lifted Binghamton to a 1-0 lead early in the first.
Julian Melchiori tipped in his second goal of the season five minutes later to strengthen the Devils lead. Joey Anderson shoveled the puck toward the front of the net and Melchiori elevated it over the shoulder of Bachman for the 2-0 lead. Anderson and Michael Paliotta tallied the helpers on the play at 5:10 of the first period.
The Devils had another quick start to the period as Ryan Schmelzer picked up his third goal of the season 1:24 into the second. Brandon Gignac slid a long pass up the ice into the Utica zone that connected with Schmelzer. On the breakaway, Schmelzer's smooth puck handling got the best of the Comets netminder and ended in a 3-0 Binghamton lead.
Fabian Zetterlund kept Binghamton's scoring streak going, raising the Devils three-goal lead to four with 9:39 left in the second stanza. Zetterlund guided the puck down the ice and pitched a shot from the left-wing circle that landed in the back of the net for his fourth of the season. Egor Sharangovich logged the additional assist on the play that put the Devils up, 4-0.
The Devils were not finished yet as Dakota Mermis netted Binghamton's fifth goal of the night with just two seconds remaining in the second period. Mermis jumped to the top of the circles and wristed a shot by Bachman for his second of the year with 1.8 seconds to go. Assists were credited to Joey Anderson and Street. Binghamton took the 5-0 lead into the second intermission along with a 35-11 shot advantage.
After a review of the play, Utica beat Gilles Senn and registered their first of the night. Senn deflected the initial shot on goal by Reid Boucher that was picked up and dribbled in by Seamus Malone for his first goal of the season. Boucher and Sven Baertschi recorded the assists on the 5-1 Comets goal that came at 7:04 in the final frame.
Binghamton blasted away their eight-game losing streak with a 5-1 win at home against the Comets. Senn stopped 23 of 24 shots on goal in the win and Bachman stopped 36 of 41 shots on goal in the loss.
The Devils are back home Wednesday against Rochester at 7:05 p.m. Kids under the age of 12 get a FREE tickets to the game with the purchase of an adult ticket presented by McDonald's and Mix 103.3 FM. In addition, all kids tickets will come with a FREE happy meal at McDonald's. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils right wing Chris Conner vs. the Utica Comets
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.