Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 3-1 on Saturday night at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in front of 11,567 fans and 8,672 stuffed animals. With the loss, the Monsters are now 13-12-1-2 and are currently in seventh place in the AHL's North Division standings with 29 points.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's Anthony Angello scored the only marker of the opening period at 9:02 to give the visitors a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Angello doubled the lead for the Penguins at 8:40 of the middle frame, but Dillon Simpson cut the score to 2-1 at 14:25 with his power-play goal and helpers from Adam Clendening and Jakob Lilja to close out the second period.
The Penguins secured a 3-1 win after Thomas Di Pauli put away an empty-net marker at 19:05 in the final period.
Veini Vehvilainen made 26 saves in the loss while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's Dustin Tokarski stopped 27 pucks for the win.
The Monsters visit the Milwaukee Admirals on Friday night with an 8:00 p.m. puck drop at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena. Follow the games with full coverage on ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 1 0 - - 1
WBS 1 1 1 - - 3
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 28 1/4 2/2 8 min / 4 inf
WBS 29 0/2 3/4 12 min / 6 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Vehvilainen L 26 2 5-7-1
WBS Tokarski W 27 1 3-1-1
Cleveland Record: 13-12-1-2, 7th North Division
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Record: 14-10-3-1, 3rd Atlantic Division
Images from this story
Paul Bittner of the Cleveland Monsters collects teddy bears
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Announce 2020-21 Training Camp Roster
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2020-21 Regular-Season Schedule Presented by SeatGeek
- Monsters Announce Five Roster Additions
- Columbus Blue Jackets Announce Roster Moves Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving