Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears posted a field goal in the first period and pounced past the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 5-2 on Saturday night at Giant Center, extending Hershey's season-best win streak to five straight. Brian Pinho tallied in his 100th professional game, and Vitek Vanecek back stopped the Chocolate and White with 24 stops on 26 shots.
Only 1:49 into the game, Pinho opened Hershey's scoring on a perfect redirection. Breaking to the net, Pinho tipped a perfect pass from Axel Jonsson-Fjallby into the cage for his fourth goal of the season. Bridgeport answered at 7:48, after Kieffer Bellows banked a sharp angle shot off Vanecek's pads and in. The Bears quickly regained their lead on transition play at the 11:44 mark. Looking to connect with Garrett Pilon on a backdoor pass, Mike Sgarbossa perfectly bounced a feed off a Bridgeport defender and behind Sound Tigers goaltender Jakub Sharek. Less than a minute later, Philippe Maillet stretched his team's lead to 3-1 after burying a pass from Liam O'Brien. Shots after 20 minutes were 10-5 Hershey with a two-goal advantage.
Next period, the Sound Tigers quickly pulled within one, only to be met with two Hershey tallies. Andrew Ladd scored at 1:26 of the middle frame, but the Bears responded on their second power play chance of the night. After Sgarbossa saw his shot blocked in the slot, Matt Moulson fired the loose puck into the cage for his eighth goal of the season at 5:59. The power play strike marked the first time this season Hershey scored a power play goal in three straight games. Only 14 seconds later, O'Brien pushed his team's lead to 5-2 on his sixth goal of the season. Pinho recorded the primary helper for his second career multi-point, and second of the 2019-20 season. Shots after 40 minutes were 22-16 Bridgeport with the Bears leading by a field goal.
Into the final period, Hershey's penalty kill rattled off five consecutive successful kills, including two 5-on-3 power play disadvantages. The Bears penalty kill extended its current streak to 26 straight successful kills, dating back to Dec. 1 versus Hartford, with a perfect 6-for-6 performance on Saturday. Final shots on goal were 26-18 Bridgeport.
The Hershey Bears return to action and conclude the weekend tomorrow night against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. It's Hall of Fame Night at Giant Center, where the Hershey Bears will induct its 2019 class into the team Hall of Fame. Bears players will wear speciality jerseys inspired by the 1988 Calder Cup Champion Bears. Puck drop is scheduled for 5 PM. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- GIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss Collects 31,381 Stuffed Animals
- Bears Announce Roster for 2021 Training Camp
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2020-21 Season
- Bears Ink Defenders O'Gara and Willcox to Professional Tryouts
- Bruce Boudreau Brings USPHL Junior Hockey Team to Hershey