Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto
The Belleville Senators grabbed its first win of the season over the Toronto Marlies 4-1 Saturday afternoon.
Joey Daccord made 34 saves in the Belleville net as Joseph LaBate, Erik Brannstrom and Drake Batherson scored. Toronto's Joseph Woll turned away 14 shots as Kenny Agostino had their only goal.
It took 12:59 for the first goal of the game but it came through LaBate's first of the season as used a screen to beat Woll with a wrister from the right faceoff circle to give the Sens a 1-0 lead.
The Sens had a 2-0 lead after 20 thanks to Brannstrom's first goal in a Sens jersey as on a 5-on-3 the Swede fired home a wrist shot from an almost identical spot as LaBate at 16:09.
Agostino got Toronto on the board with 6:18 to play as with Rudolfs Balcers and Frank Corrado in the box, Agostino grabbed his 14th of the year from the edge of the faceoff circle with Daccord down on the ice protecting his right post with only four seconds left to kill in the two-man advantage.
The Senators penalty killers earned their paycheques in the third period as they killed four straight penalties, including a 28-second 5-on-3, before Batherson restored Belleville's two-goal lead with 6:03 left as he got just enough of Jonathan Aspirot's pass for his 11th of the year.
Szwarz added an empty-netter with 11.9 seconds left to make it 4-1.
Balcers extended his franchise best point-streak to 12 games with an assist on Batherson's goal while Aspirot registered his first AHL assist with the primary helper.
The Sens are back in action Wednesday when they host Utica for the first time. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.