Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4
SPRINGFIELD, MA. - Paul Carey scored the game-winning goal in overtime, while Peter Cehlarik, Trent Frederic, Robert Lantosi and Jack Studnicka each recorded one goal and one assist as the Providence Bruins defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds in overtime, 5-4, on Saturday night. Providence scored two shorthanded goals and added a power-play tally in the victory, while Max Lagace got the start in net and made 24 saves for his 12th win of the season.
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"I liked a lot of our game tonight. I thought we sustained a lot of pressure in the offensive zone and on the forecheck. That team has a lot of talent over there and we need to be a little tighter.
"With that being said, we got the two points and we were able to sustain quite a bit of offense against that group. Overall, we're happy. There are certainly things we can work on, but hopefully we can ride this momentum into tomorrow."
"It was a pretty loose game, a bit of a track meet with back-and-forth action. Both goalies played pretty well, but in games like that you have to keep grinding. When they score, you can't let it deflate you. I thought we did a pretty good job of battling back every time.
PAUL CAREY - OVERTIME GAME-WINNING GOAL
"That was a big win. This is a tough place to play. Hopefully we can put a few more wins together now. This is the meat of the season where you have to keep collecting points and hopefully put yourself in a good position to make the playoffs down the road."
- Jack Studnicka scored his league-leading fifth shorthanded goal of the season. As a team, the P-Bruins have scored 10 shorthanded goals this season, pacing the AHL.
- Paul Carey's overtime game-winning goal was his team-leading 13th tally of the season. The 13 goals is tied for seventh most in the AHL.
- Trent Frederic also recorded a shorthanded goal and has recorded three points (2G, 1A) in his last two games.
- Steven Kampfer collected an assist on Cehlarik's power play goal for his first point of the season.
- The Bruins will return home Providence for a rematch with the Springfield Thunderbirds on Sunday, December 15 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 3:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Providence Bruins Announce Details for 2020-21 Season
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime