Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Stockton's special teams came up clutch with a pair of late kills, including a 5-on-3 chance, as the Heat hung on to win by a 3-2 final score Saturday afternoon against the San Jose Barracuda at the SAP Center. Luke Philp got the scoring started, a power play marker to extend his goal streak to five games, the lone score of the first period. After the Barracuda drew even in the second, Matthew Phillips lit the lamp in his first game back since the first NHL call-up of his young career, extending his point streak to six games, and then Adam Ruzicka found the back of the net in what proved to be the game-winner 7:05 into the third period for a two-goal edge before a late Barracuda score to draw within striking distance. The victory improves Stockton to 3-0 on the year against San Jose, a hat trick of 3-2 wins, and the contest was the Heat's first road win against the Barracuda since October 21 of last season, snapping a five-game losing skid at the SAP Center. The Heat have now won six of their last seven road games, the first time in team history that the club has accomplished that feat.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (23 shots, 21 saves)
L: Josef Korenar (26 shots, 23 saves)
Three Stars: First - Matthew Phillips (1g), Second - Luke Philp (1g), Third - Ivan Chekhovich (1g)
Shots On Goal: STK - 26, SJ - 23
Power Plays: STK - 1-4, SJ - 0-4
- Luke Philp extended his goal streak to five games, with seven goals in that span. Philp is now tied with Buddy Robinson for the Heat lead in goals with 11 on the year, all of Philp's coming in Stockton's last 12 games.
- Matthew Phillips lit the lamp in his first game back following his first NHL recall. The forward has now registered at least one point in his last six games played, five goals and five assists in that span.
- With an assist in today's game, Glenn Gawdin has still not gone back-to-back games without a point this season.
- Artyom Zagidulin has earned a win in six-straight decisions.
- Byron Froese returned to the lineup after missing Stockton's previous six contests to injury.
- The Heat have won all three games against San Jose this season by identical 3-2 tallies.
- The win snapped a five-game losing skid for Stockton at the SAP Center, a stretch that dated back to October 21 of last season.
The Heat close out the weekend home-and-home against the Barracuda on home ice on Sunday, December 15 at 5 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Wrap Perfect Trip, Add to Lead as AHL's Best - Tucson Roadrunners
- Admirals Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Winning Streak Comes to An End against Tucson - Texas Stars
- Bigras Brings the Bears in Teddy Bear Toss Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Get Even with Ads - Chicago Wolves
- Carey Scores OT Winner, P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 3-1 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Extend Win Streak to Five, Blast Sound Tigers 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Ends Pack's Streak - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Offense Shines In 5-1 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Plagued by Devils' Efficient Attack - Utica Comets
- Crunch Top Checkers, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Squander Lead in 5-4 Loss to Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Shutout 5-0 by the Rochester Americans - Laval Rocket
- Barracuda Get Burned by Heat, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Grab First Win of the Season over Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Game Recap: Amerks Complete Sweep with 5-0 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Preds Recall Blackwell, Reassign Carr to Ads - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Earn 3-2 Win Saturday over San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Eagles Host Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- McIlrath Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Carrick to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Senators Sign Corrado to AHL Deal - Belleville Senators
- Battle of Ontario Heads to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Loans F Steven Swavely to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game 26 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat, Barracuda Start Weekend Home-And-Home Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Home for Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Englund Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, December 14, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, December 14 - Belleville Senators
- Benson Scores Twice as Condors Grab Point in 6-5 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Improve To 20-5 Following Record-Long Shootout Win - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.