Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m.
February 4, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Islanders News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Bridgeport Islanders (19-18-6-1) face the Springfield Thunderbirds (22-17-1-4) in their final game before the All-Star break, dropping the puck at 7:05 p.m. tonight inside MassMutual Center. Last night, Chris Terry scored his second shorthanded goal of the season in a 4-1 loss to the Hershey Bears at Total Mortgage Arena. It was Bridgeport's eighth shorthanded goal as a team, tied for most in the AHL. Jakub Skarek (6-11-3) made 25 saves in his fourth consecutive appearance for the Islanders. Bridgeport went 0-for-4 on the man advantage and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
WATCH FOR FREE: AHLTV.com
GAME AT A GLANCE
Tonight's game is the ninth of 12 meetings between the Islanders and Thunderbirds this season, and the last of six in Massachusetts. Bridgeport is 3-2-3-0 against Springfield this year and 2-1-2-0 in those games on the road including a 6-2 victory in its last trip on Jan. 16th. Springfield's Nikita Alexandrov leads all players in the series with seven goals and 11 points, while Ruslan Iskhakov has nine points in eight games against the T-Birds (3g, 6a).
VIEW FROM SPRINGFIELD
The Thunderbirds set a team record by posting their seventh straight win, 4-2, over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins last night at home. Keean Washurak, Matthew Highmore, Martin Frk and Matthew Peca each scored, while Peca added two assists for a three-point performance. Vadim Zherenko made 28 saves. With the win, the Thunderbirds improved to fourth in the Atlantic Division standings with 49 points in 44 games.
TERRY TAKING OVER
Chris Terry scored Bridgeport's lone goal last night and had two assists in Hershey on Sunday, good for his team-leading 12th multi-point game of the season. He increased his team lead in both assists (29) and points (43), and enters the night tied for ninth in the AHL in scoring. He shares 10th in assists. Bridgeport is 9-1-1-1 when Terry has at least two points in a game this season.
ISKHAKOV ADDED TO ALL-STAR ROSTER
The AHL announced on Wednesday that Ruslan Iskhakov has been added to the Atlantic Division's playing roster for the 2023 AHL All-Star Classic in Laval, Quebec this weekend (Feb. 5-6). He will join Bridgeport defenseman Samuel Bolduc. Iskhakov, 22, has nine goals and 22 assists through 40 games this season, tied for sixth among all AHL rookies in scoring (31 points). He shares second place among rookies in assists.
The Islanders have scored three power-play goals in their last four games, sitting seventh in the AHL at 22.4%... Arnaud Durandeau has eight points (3g, 5a) in his last 10 games after a pair of power-play goals on Sunday... Seven of his nine goals have come on the man advantage... Bridgeport is the only Eastern Conference team to not allow a shorthanded goal and one of just three Eastern Conference club with eight shorthanded goals scored... Henrik Tikkanen was returned on loan to Worcester (ECHL) on Thursday.
New York Islanders (25-22-5): Last 2-1 OTW vs. Vegas, Saturday -- Next: Monday at Philadelphia, 7 p.m. ET
Worcester Railers (22-18-3-0): Last: 3-2 L vs. South Carolina, last night -- Next: Tonight vs. South Carolina, 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Islanders Stories
- Bridgeport Islanders Announce Home Opener and Six Guaranteed Dates
- New York Islanders Sign Forwards MacLean and Kuefler
- Kristen Penta Named Bridgeport Islanders Teacher of the Year, Presented by Connecticut Lottery
- Bridgeport Islanders Sign Three Players
- Ryan MacKinnon Named Bridgeport's 2022-23 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year