Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center
Rockford, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs topped the Iowa Wild 3-2 in overtime in front of a sold-out crowd of 6,166 at the BMO Center on Saturday night. Forward Bobby Lynch struck the overtime winner with 15 seconds left in the extra period.
In a familiar start to Friday night's contest, Iowa forward Nick Swaney netted the first goal of the night and took a 1-0 lead for the Wild. Firing a wrister from the left point, defenseman Dakota Mermis' shot was deflected by Swaney in the slot and knocked in at 5:42 on Iowa's first power-play chance.
While the Hogs were on their fourth penalty kill of the night in the second period, defenseman Jakub Galvas caught a pass from Luke Philp and punched in Rockford's third shorthanded goal of the season. The shot from the right circle gave Galvas his second tally of the campaign at 8:26 to tie the contest 1-1.
Later in the frame, confusion ensued after Beckman crossed into the Rockford zone on a play that appeared to be offsides. Moments later, Marco Rossi set up a pass for forward Sammy Walker to quickly tap in from the right edge of the crease at 17:34, taking a 2-1 lead before the end of the middle stanza.
The IceHogs were able to capitalize on their fifth power play halfway through the third period and notch the equalizer to even the score 2-2. All-star forward Brett Seney got his stick on an Adam Clendening wrist shot from the right point and redirected the puck past Wild goaltender Jesper Wallstedt at 11:37 to score the Hogs' first power-play goal of the night.
With 2:06 left to play in the third, Iowa's Mike O'Leary was tagged with a hooking penalty and sent Rockford on its sixth man advantage. The Hogs failed to capitalize on the late power play and Rockford walked into overtime for the fourth straight game.
Just seconds into the extra frame, Soderblom dazzled the sellout crowd at the BMO Center with a sprawling glove save on Rossi to keep Iowa out of the net.
With time winding down in overtime, Cole Guttman carried the puck down the right wing for Rockford to establish the offensive zone. After a strong play from Galvas to protect the disc, Guttman found Bobby Lynch in front of the net who buried the game-winner with a one-time rocket. The crucial tally came with just 15 seconds left in overtime and served as Lynch's fourth goal of the season.
Soderblom finished his third straight win with 33 saves on 35 shots. Wallstedt played well for the Wild and stopped 40 of Rockford's 43 saves.
Next Home Game
The IceHogs next home game is Saturday, Feb. 11 for the return of the Screw City IceHogs. It's also the Adam Clendening designed hat giveaway for the first 1,500 fans, courtesy of BMO Bank. Get tickets here!
IceHogs Highlights: IceHogs vs Wild 2/4/23
IceHogs Postgame: Head Coach Anders Sorensen 2/4/23
Return Of The Screw: Screw City IceHogs Back February 11
After the success and positive response from the Rockford IceHogs' Screw City debut on December 9, the team will play as the Screw City IceHogs for the second time this season on Saturday, Feb. 11 against the Milwaukee Admirals. For those who missed out on the merchandise from the Screw City debut, there is a robust selection of Screw City items in the IceHogs team store at the BMO Center, including hats, shirts, and pucks. Fans can also preorder a Screw City IceHogs replica jersey online now. Learn more about the Screw City IceHogs at IceHogs.com/ScrewCity. It's also Adam Clendening designed hat giveaway for the first 1,500 fans, courtesy of BMO Bank.
Tune In LIVE on the IceHogs Broadcast Network Presented by BMO
Watch and listen to every game this season on the IceHogs Broadcast Network presented by BMO! Listen from your favorite device, at home, or on the road at IceHogs.com and on the IceHogs app and watch LIVE on AHLTV and selected games on 23.3 Circle TV! Fans can also tune in on all of Mid-West Family's local stations including 104.9 The X, B103, 95.3 The Bull, and Rockford Greatest Hits 100.5 and featured on Rock River Current, the Stateline's premiere source for local events, news and culture.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Weekly: Two Dramatic Wins for Hogs Extends Win Streak to Five Games
- Del Mastro Caps off Third-Period Comeback with Overtime Winner; Hogs Win Fifth Straight
- Hardman Enters Concussion Protocol
- Hogs Seek to Extend Win Streak to Five against Red-Hot Griffins
- Rem Pitlick Scores Twice In Victory Over First Place Admirals