Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets
February 4, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Providence Bruins News Release
Utica, NY - Georgii Merkulov posted his third game-winning goal in as many games as the Providence Bruins topped the Utica Comets 4-1 on Saturday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Fabian Lysell tallied a power play goal, while Jakub Lauko scored on the breakaway. Goaltender Keith Kinkaid stopped 20 shots in the contest.
How It Happened
Brian Halonen flipped a backhanded shot from the left corner on the cage, rebounding the puck out to the top of the crease for Joe Gambardella to tuck in on the backhand for a power play goal with 8:03 remaining in the first period to give the Comets a 1-0 lead.
Nearing the end of the power play, Merkulov wristed a shot from the top of the left circle that the goaltender got a piece of, sending it off the back glass and to the right of the net, where Lysell fired the puck across the goal line with 13 seconds left in the first period to tie the game at 1-1. Connor Carrick was credited with an assist on the tally as well.
While playing 5-on-3, Mike Reilly found Merkulov in the right circle for a one-timer that he hammered into the top right corner to give Providence a 2-1 lead with 14:08 left in the second period. Carrick received the secondary assist.
Chris Wagner flipped the puck from the neutral zone over a defender attempting to lead Lauko into the zone on a breakaway. Lauko knocked it out of the air with his stick blade and tucked the puck around the goaltender with his backhand on a breakaway with 14:05 remaining in the third period, giving the P-Bruins a 3-1 lead. Joona Koppanen was credited with an assist as well.
Samuel Asselin scored an empty net goal from the neutral zone with 3:28 to play in the third period to make it 4-1 Providence.
Merkulov has game-winning goals in three straight games.
Wagner is riding a three game point streak.
Carrick notched his sixth multi-point game of the season with two assists tonight.
Kinkaid made 20 saves. Providence totaled 28 shots in the contest.
The P-Bruins power play went 2-for-6, and the penalty kill was 2-for-3.
The P-Bruins host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday, February 10 at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Bruins Buzz - March 21
- Providence Bruins Hosted Teddy Bear Toss Game Benefiting Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Koppanen Scores Two Goals and Shootout Winner in Victory over T-Birds
- Bussi Backbones P-Bruins to Victory Over T-Birds
- Providence Bruins Sign Fossier to PTO