Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season
The Coachella Valley Firebirds swept the weekend series against the San Diego Gulls on Saturday night by the final score of 4-0. Max McCormick scored twice while Christopher Gibson turned away all 21 shots for his second shutout of the season in front of 9,339 at Acrisure Arena.
Coachella Valley hit the back of the net three times in the first 6:44 of the first period. Austin Poganski got the scoring started at 3:2 when Matt Tennyson drove the puck to the net before Luke Henman got it on cage. Poganski picked up the loose change to give the Firebirds a 1-0 lead with his sixth goal of the season. Just 1:22 later, Jesper Froden and Cameron Hughes led a rush into the offensive zone. Hughes' shot hit the post, but the rebound was potted home by Max McCormick to extend Coachella Valley's lead to 2-0.
The Firebirds went to the powerplay following a Drew Helleson tripping penalty. Jesper Froden cashed in on a one-timer to make it 3-0 with his team-leading 23rd goal of the season. McCormick and Brogan Rafferty earned the assists on the man-advantage tally.
In the middle frame, Coachella Valley struck again on the powerplay. Jesper Froden put a slap-pass on to the tape of McCormick, redirecting the puck into the net for his second of the game. The captain's 20th goal of the season stretched the lead to 4-0 at 13:28.
The victory moves Coachella Valley to 30-7-3-1 on the season. The Firebirds' powerplay went 2-for-8 and the penalty kill finished 4-for-4.
NEXT GAME: Following the All-Star break, the Firebirds visit the San Diego Gulls on Friday, February 10. Puck drop is set for 7pm PT.
Full Season, partial plans, and group tickets are also on sale for the Firebirds' inaugural season. For more information and to purchase your ticket plan, please visit www.cvfirebirds.com or call 760-835-8778. View the team's full game and promotional schedule, including theme night events at www.cvfirebirds.com/schedule.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Coachella Valley Firebirds Stories
- Morrison's Four-Point Night Helps Lead Firebirds to 30th Win of Season
- Firebirds Cruise Back Into The Win Column With 6-1 Victory Over Henderson
- Driedger Stymies San Jose for Second Straight Shutout
- Firebirds Blank Silver Knights to Move into First Place in Pacific Division
- Firebirds Extend Point Streak With 5-2 Win Over Wranglers