San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley
February 4, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - San Diego Gulls News Release
San Diego - 0 at Coachella Valley - 4
Feb. 4, 2023
Box Score: San Diego - 0 at Coachella Valley - 4
Postgame Interview Link:
Assistant Coach Kris Sparre
The San Diego Gulls were held scoreless by the Coachella Valley Firebirds tonight at Acrisure Arena, falling 4-0 and bringing their overall record to 12-34-0-0 and 7-17-0-0 on the road.
Michael Del Zotto, Pavol Regenda and Hunter Drew each posted three shots in the effort, tying for the most among San Diego skaters.
Lukas Dostal stopped 27-of-31 shots in the loss.
The Gulls stopped 6-of-8 of Coachella Valley's chances on the man advantage tonight, killing 11-of-13 (84.6%) of the Firebirds' power-play opportunities during their weekend series. San Diego's penalty kill on the road is operating at 82.7 % success rate, second in the AHL's Pacific Division, sixth in the Western Conference and 11th in the league. Overall, the Gulls rank fourth in the Pacific Division, seventh in the Western Conference and tied for 12th in the AHL with an 81.2% kill rate.
The Gulls return home to face the Firebirds for the third consecutive time on the team's annual Pink in the Rink Night on Friday, Feb. 10 at Pechanga Arena San Diego (7 p.m. PST).
SAN DIEGO GULLS
Assistant coach Kris Sparre
On the loss to Coachella Valley
A lot of penalties. You know, a lot of our top players played a lot of minutes tonight. Back-to-back nights. I think we ran out of gas.
On shuffling the lines during the game
We've had a hard time scoring goals 5-on-5 in the past few games. I think when that happens, you're just looking to solve some problems and start putting the puck in the net. Line shuffling sometimes will do that for you. In this case tonight, it didn't, but like I said, we had some really big efforts in the last two games from guys like Rocco (Grimaldi) and Bo (Groulx) and (Michael) Del Zotto logging a lot of minutes on the penalty kill. And then that stuff catches up to you. If you take penalties, it's going to catch up to you.
On the team's penalties
That team skates really well over there and they hunt pucks, and they play a really fast game with a lot of pace, and if you're not moving your feet, you're chasing, and we took a lot of stick penalties tonight in result of that. It's unfortunate, but we'll be looking to solve that moving forward.
On the benefits of the All-Star break
I think it's good. You know, we haven't had the success that we wanted to have in the first part of this year. To get these guys a mental break, away from the rink, come back with a lot of fire because at the end of the day, we're still chasing a playoff spot. We believe we can do it. We gotta get on a bit of a run here though.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.