Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles
February 4, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (23-17-1-4) morphed into the Ice-O-Topes on Saturday night and completed a magical comeback against the Bridgeport Islanders (19-18-7-1) to win 5-4 in overtime before a sold-out MassMutual Center.
The opening 20 minutes had action of all kinds, as both Joel Hofer and Cory Schneider were at their acrobatic best in their goal creases, stopping a combined 28 shots in the first period alone. Schneider's best work came on a pair of saves back-to-back off a Will Bitten breakaway and a rebound chance by Nikita Alexandrov. On the same play sequence, Hofer showed his athleticism in denying Ruslan Iskhakov on a counter-rush.
Bad blood was also a constant in the first 20 minutes, as the squads combined for 24 first-period penalty minutes, including a set of fighting majors to Greg Printz and Paul LaDue. The Ice-O-Topes had each of the three power plays in the first, but Schneider and the Bridgeport penalty kill stifled the red-hot Springfield man advantage, keeping them off the scoresheet.
With just 1:29 left in the first, the Isles did finally strike first as a Dennis Cholowski point shot glanced off Hofer and right to the waiting stick of Arnaud Durandeau, who jabbed the rebound in from a severe angle on the left-wing side to make it 1-0 for Bridgeport on the winger's 10th goal of the year.
Special teams were so much a part of Springfield's previous success during the streak, but in this contest, Bridgeport turned the trick on Springfield, scoring on each of their first two power plays in the second. First, it was Durandeau beating Hofer from the middle of the slot area over the stick side to make it 2-0 at 3:53.
At 10:40, William Dufour added to the Bridgeport power play success, moments after Schneider made a denial on a Springfield shorthanded chance. Dufour beat Hofer off the inside of the post on the glove side, making it 3-0.
In need of a spark, the Springfield penalty kill provided just that at 14:37 of the second, as Jake Neighbours roared up the left wing, circle the goal mouth, and stuffed a wraparound off of Schneider and in to cut the lead to 3-1 heading into the third. The goal was Springfield's league-leading ninth shorthanded tally, as well as the first one allowed all year by Bridgeport.
Springfield's fourth line gave the Ice-O-Topes more momentum early in the third as Drew Callin redirected a Steven Santini point wrister through Schneider at 3:22 of the final period, cutting the Bridgeport margin to 3-2.
Bridgeport appeared to spoil the comeback when Erik Brown one-timed a Jeff Kubiak pass through Hofer at 5:41, upping the Islanders' lead to 4-2.
Undeterred, the 'Topes rallied back and just 1:07 later, Matthew Highmore crashed the net, received a beautiful drop pass from Martin Frk, and beat Schneider to cut the deficit to 4-3.
With the Thunderdome in an uproar, Springfield got even when Matthew Peca found Tyler Tucker with a cross-crease pass at 12:39, and Tucker one-touched it through Schneider, evening the score, 4-4.
Hofer and Schneider fended off some dangerous chances from both sides over the final seven minutes of regulation, and for a fourth time in the season series, overtime was needed. Like the prior three, it was the Springfield side that would come away victorious.
With precious little time left in overtime, at 4:27 of the five-minute period, Neighbours flipped a puck toward the left corner. Schneider attempted to swat the puck forward to start a counter rush, but instead threw it right back to Neighbours, who teed off with a slapper that beat Schneider on the blocker and propelled the Ice-O-Topes to a 5-4 victory, their first and only lead of the night.
Neighbours' tally, his ninth of the season, was also his fourth game-winner and second overtime goal against Schneider and Bridgeport this year.
Following time away for the All-Star break, Springfield attempts to extend its team-record win streak to nine games on Friday night at 7:05 p.m. as they visit the Rochester Americans at Blue Cross Arena.
Thunderbirds fans can reserve their seats for the 2022-23 season and lock in the best prices and member benefits by calling (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visiting www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
-- SPRINGFIELD THUNDERBIRDS -
Images from this story
Springfield Ice-O-Topes celebrate win
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Sign F Sam Bitten
- Blues Sign F Mathias Laferriere to One-Year Extension
- T-Birds' M&T Bank "Better Together" Community Initiatives Raise $131,000 in 22-23 Season
- Will Bitten Named T-Birds' IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Springfield Thunderbirds Raise $30,000 for Rays of Hope