Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win
February 4, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Milwaukee Admirals News Release
Milwaukee, WI - Zach Sanford scored a pair of goals, including the game-winner in overtime, to cap an Admirals comeback in a 5-4 victory over Manitoba on Saturday night at Panther Arena.
The win was the fourth in five games to start a season-long six-game homestand for the Ads, who have just one regulation loss in their past seven games.
With the game tied at four and the team's playing 3-on-3 Marc Del Gaizo carried the puck into the Moose zone and passed over to Luke Evangelista, who sent a saucer pass over to a streaking Sanford, who beat Manitoba goalie Oskari Salminen to the stick side and give the Admirals the win.
In addition to Sanford, Kiefer Sherwood also scored a pair of goals on the night, including his team-best 20th of the season, while Evangelista, Phil Tomasino, and Roland McKeown all chipped in two assists to pace the offense.
The Moose got off to a quick start and built an early 2-0 lead beginning with a goal from Kirby Reichel just 1:27 into the contest. That was followed by a power-play tally by Manitoba's Wyatt Bongiovanni at the 16:13 mark for a two-goal advantage.
However, Sherwood's goal late in the first gave the Ads some of the momentum they needed. With the team on the power-play Phil Tomasino won a face-off and push the puck over to Sherwood, whose shot beat Manitoba goalie Oskari Salminen to stick side with just 43 seconds to play in the frame. The goal also triggered an avalanche of over 1,700 teddy bears on Jockey Being Family Teddy Bear Toss night.
Sanford leveled the score at two at the 4:06 mark of the second period on his eighth goal of the year. Stationed directly in front of the Manitoba net, Sanford deflected a Keaton Thompson shot past Salminen.
Manitoba would get the next two goals as Reichel got his second of the night at 9:08 and Alex Limoges scored their second PPG of the game with just 27 seconds left in the sandwich frame.
Once again the Ads would battle back to tie the score with goals from Jimmy Huntington and Sherwood just 50 seconds part to eventually force OT and set the stage for Sanford's heroics.
The Admirals are off for the next five days for the AHL All-Star break. They get back in action when they finish up their six-game homestand next Friday, February 10th at 7 pm against Rockford.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2023
- Gibson's Shutout Helps Firebirds To 30th Win Of Season - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Griffins Win 500th Road Game with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lynch Completes Wild Sweep with OT Winner in Front of Sold out BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Fall 3-2 to IceHogs in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to 14 Games - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Blanked at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Durandeau Scores Twice, Schneider Makes 34 Saves On Saturday - Bridgeport Islanders
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Griffins - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Pummel Past Hershey 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devin Cooley Notches Win And Ends With 33 Saves - Manitoba Moose
- Charlotte Slams Syracuse 5-3 for Fifth Straight Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice-O-Topes Summon Magical Comeback Win Over Isles - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sanford Goal Caps Comeback Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Checkers, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Split Lumberjacks Weekend with Wolves After 3-2 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Loss to Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose Last Game Before All-Star Break - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fritz Scores Game-Winner in 300th Career AHL Game as Pack Rout Penguins 8-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Rally Past Monsters 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Lose Home Game to Bruins, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Merkulov Stays Hot, Scores Game-Winning Goal In P-Bruins Victory Over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Barracuda Edged by Canucks, 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Extend Winning Streak to Three, Sweep San Jose with 3-2 Road Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- All-Star Preview: Matthew Phillips - Calgary Wranglers
- Ronnie Attard Named to AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Hogs and Wild Rendezvous in Weekend Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Toronto Marlies Host Laval Rocket in Saturday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Battle Penguins in Crucial Atlantic Division Tilt - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Rockford IceHogs - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears vs Phantoms, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #46 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Face Thunderbirds Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Secure 2-0 Shutout Victory in Series Opener against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Blanked by Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Twarynski's Late Goal Sends Firebirds Over Gulls - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Wranglers Take Down Condors - Calgary Wranglers
- San Diego Unsuccessful at Coachella Valley - San Diego Gulls
- Silver Knights Fall, 2-1, to the Eagles at Home - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Clipped by Canucks 3-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Nils Höglander Completes Comeback In 3-2 Victory Over San Jose - Abbotsford Canucks
- Colorado Bounces Back with 2-1 Victory at Henderson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Go Moose Stomping - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.