Sens Denied by Checkers
The Belleville Senators dropped its first home game of 2019 3-1 to the Charlotte Checkers Friday night at CAA Arena.
Belleville's Filip Gustavsson made 19 saves while Max McCormick scored. The Checkers had goals from Patrick Brown, Julien Gauthier, Aleksi Saarela and Nicholas Roy while Alex Nedeljkovic stopped 26 shots.
It took just 2:03 for the visitors to take the lead as Brown buried eighth of the season after debutant Darren Archibald's pass couldn't clear the zone and despite the Sens outshooting Charlotte 14-6 in the first, they headed into the first intermission down 1-0.
The Checkers made its lead 2-0 at 9:21 of the second as Gauthier used a screen on Gustavsson to bury his eighth as he beat the Sens goalie glove side on a power play.
Belleville got on the board at 13:16 as McCormick skated in down the left wing before beating Nedeljkovic bardown with a wicked wrister for his third of the season but the Checkers restored its two-goal lead with 1:48 left in the frame as Saarela buried Andrew Poturalski's centering pass after Charlotte had forced a turnover in the neutral zone.
Roy's 11th of the campaign 1:15 into the third period pushed the Charlotte lead to 4-1 as he banged in a puck from in close after Roland McKeown's sharp-angled shot was loose in Gustavsson's pads. Belleville's best chance of the period came through Jordan Murray who clipped the crossbar after Nedeljkovic got his blocker on the puck to help it on its way.
Belleville is back in action Saturday when they once again host the Checkers. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Belleville Senators Forward Josh Norris Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- BSens Announce 2019-20 Team Awards
- Norris and Batherson Named to 2019-20 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams
- Norris and Formenton Named 2019-20 AHL All-Rookie Team
- Belleville Senators Announce AHL 2019/20 Season Cancellation