'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis
RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Greg McKegg from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) on an emergency basis and placed forward Jordan Staal on injured reserve.
McKegg, 26, has posted 23 points (6g, 17a) in 31 games with the Checkers this season, ranking second on the team in assists and fourth in points. The 6'0", 190-pound forward has appeared in 91 career NHL games with Toronto, Florida, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh, recording 13 points (7g, 6a). Last season, McKegg tallied four points (2g, 2a) in 26 games with the Penguins, including his first career shorthanded goal.
The St. Thomas, Ont., native was acquired by the Hurricanes from Pittsburgh in exchange for Josh Jooris on Feb. 26, 2018. Since joining the organization, he has registered 46 points (15g, 31a) in 50 games with Charlotte (AHL). He has appeared in 322 career AHL games, tallying 193 points (82g, 111a). McKegg was drafted by the Maple Leafs in the third round, 62nd overall, of the 2010 NHL Draft.
Staal, 30, has missed the last five games with an upper-body injury. The 6'4", 220-pound forward has recorded 11 points (5g, 6a) in 29 games this season and ranks ninth in the NHL in faceoff win percentage (56.6%). The Thunder Bay, Ont., native has registered 493 points (211g, 282a) in 872 career NHL games, including 245 points (91g, 154a) in 441 games with Carolina. He was acquired by the Hurricanes from the Penguins in exchange for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and a first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft (Derrick Pouliot) on June 22, 2012. Staal was drafted by Pittsburgh in the first round, second overall, of the 2006 NHL Draft.
The Hurricanes host the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight at PNC Arena at 7:30 p.m. For more information about Hurricanes ticket packages, please visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com/tickets, or call 1-866-NHL-CANES (1-866-645-2263).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.