Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils were unable to hold a lead in a 5-1 loss to the visiting Toronto Marlies on Friday night.
Binghamtom scored the only goal of the first period to take a 1-0 lead into the break. Josh Jacobs sent a hard pass towards the crease that Egor Sharangovich got his stick on. The puck sailed by goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo for the one-goal lead with assists from Jacobs and Marian Studenic 11:10 into the game.
Toronto scored three goals in the second period to take a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes. Chris Mueller got it going on a deflection that went through the legs of goaltender Evan Cormier for his 17th of the year. It appeared to be a high stick, but counted, and tied the game at one 9:29 into the frame.
Michael Carcone put Toronto out front with his ninth of the year on a shot from the right wing circle. Adam Brooks fed Carcone from the right wall and he stepped up letting a shot fly over the right shoulder of Cormier for the 2-1 lead at 12:08. Assists on Carcone's goal were credited to Brooks and Mason Marchment.
Mueller helped the Marlies take a two-goal lead on a deflected shot from the point on the power play. Jeremy Bracco fired a shot that Mueller tipped by Cormier for a 3-1 lead at 14:51 of the secon. Assists were credited to Bracco on the shot and Brooks and Toronto took that lead to the third period along with a 19-9 shot advantage.
In the third, the Marlies added two more for a 5-1 win. Brooks scored at 15:56 on the power play and Carcone put home his second of the night at 16:48 for a four-goal lead. Cormier stopped 24 in his professional debut for the Devils and a Kaskisuo collected the win with 19 saves.
The Devils return home tomorrow against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 7:05 p.m. Bring your skates and skate with the Devils asfter the game for FREE. Get a special ticket offer HERE.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils LW Nick Saracino (left) vs. the Toronto Marlies
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.