Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have named Rockford IceHogs Assistant Coach, Sheldon Brookbank, an assistant coach on Blackhawks Head Coach Jeremy Colliton's staff. In addition, Blackhawks and IceHogs development coach, Anders Sörensen, will replace Brookbank as an assistant coach for Rockford.
Brookbank, 38, was in his second season as assistant coach for the IceHogs after originally joining the staff during the 2017-18 season. Alongside Colliton, Brookbank helped guide the IceHogs to a 40-28-4-4 record last year and the team's first-ever appearance in the Western Conference Finals. Brookbank served behind the bench for Rockford's postseason run that featured sweeps of both the Chicago Wolves and Manitoba Moose en route to an eventual Conference Finals showdown with the Texas Stars.
Overall, the Lanigan, Saskatchewan native helped the IceHogs to a record of 55-42-7-8 during his time on Rockford's coaching staff. Since his coaching debut, nine IceHogs skaters have gone on to make their NHL debut with the Blackhawks.
Prior to his coaching career, Brookbank helped the Blackhawks to the 2013 Stanley Cup and appeared in 74 games across two seasons (2012-14) with Chicago, notching eight points (3G, 5A). He spent parts of eight seasons in the National Hockey League, compiling 44 points (7G, 37A) and 473 penalty minutes in 351 career games with the Nashville Predators (2006-07), New Jersey Devils (2007-09), Anaheim Ducks (2009-12) and Blackhawks.
Sörensen, 43, is in his fifth season as development coach for Chicago. Prior to working with the Blackhawks, he served as head coach of the Chicago Mission U16 club during the 2014-15 season, worked as an assistant coach in the Swedish Hockey League's Södertälje from 2011-13 (was also interim head coach for four months) and was head coach of the Chicago Mission U18 team from 2010-11.
The Södertälje, Sweden native made his professional playing debut as a defenseman in the Central Hockey League during the 1998-99 season. He skated in the Western Pro Hockey League the following year before making his North American pro debut in the ECHL in 1999-2000. Overall, Sörensen collected three goals and one assist in 37 career ECHL games.
NEXT HOME GAME: Jan. 6 vs. Iowa Wild | 4 p.m.
The IceHogs take on the Iowa Wild this Sunday at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free pack of 2018-19 IceHogs player cards, thanks to Gizmo Sports Cards. The game will also feature a postgame skate with the team.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.