Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford
HARTFORD, Conn. - In their first game of 2019, The Springfield Thunderbirds (15-12-4-3) were unable to solve Hartford goaltender Dustin Tokarski, falling by al 3-1 score to the Hartford Wolf Pack (16-15-2-2) on Friday night at the XL Center.
Operating on an early power play after captain Paul Thompson was called for holding less than two minutes into the first period, the Wolf Pack nearly broke the scoreless tie on a chance down low, but a bouncing puck trickled just wide of Montembeault and the Thunderbirds net to keep the game scoreless.
Springfield's penalty kill did have a much-improved night, going 4-for-4 on the evening, and Sam Montembeault finished his night with 24 stops on 26 shots.
However, a tough first period did in the Thunderbirds. Hartford got on the board first at the 7:08 mark when Ryan Gropp's left-wing shot ricocheted off of Montembeault's left pad directly to Lias Andersson who tapped the puck home from short range, giving the Wolf Pack a 1-0 lead at 7:08.
The Wolf Pack added to that total, registering their second of the game nearly four minutes later at the 10:59 mark when John Gilmour picked up a rebound off a shot by Ville Meskanen at the right point and slapped it past Montembeault on his glove side.
Trailing 2-0 into the closing moments of the first, the Thunderbirds would cut the lead in half at the 18:25 mark. After receiving a pass from Matt Mangene at the right faceoff circle, Jacob MacDonald wristed the puck past Hartford goaltender Dustin Tokarski on a power play, ending a 12-game goal drought to cut the Wolf Pack lead to 2-1.
In a tightly checked period that saw the score remain 2-1, the T-Birds played a stout defensive game, holding the Wolf Pack to just six shots in the middle stanza, but Hartford matched Springfield with a sturdy showing in their own zone, keeping Springfield to just seven shots in the second period.
With 4:09 to play in the second period and with the T-Birds operating on their third power play of the night, Blaine Byron wristed a shot that deflected off a body directly to Mangene, who nearly tied the game from the right wing circle. However, Tokarski made an incredible recovery, diving with his glove along the goal line to stonewall Mangene and keep the score 2-1.
Springfield peppered the Hartford net in the third, but none of their 13 attempts could pierce Tokarski's equipment, and Peter Holland sealed the Wolf Pack win with an empty netter at 19:32 of the third.
As the Thunderbirds return home Saturday, the club will sport Springfield Indians throwback jerseys on Blast from the Past Night presented by MassMutual. The jerseys will be auctioned live following the game to cap off a night with a 1990s look and feel throughout the game presentation.
The Thunderbirds remain on home ice Sunday afternoon for a tangle with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the final Sunday afternoon home game of the season.
Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Season Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Come Away with a Point in Roller-Coaster Night vs. Bruins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend
- Thunderbirds Honored by Nonprofit "I Found Light against All Odds" at Annual Gala
- T-Birds Partner with White Lion Brewing to Promote "Blast from the Past Night" with Retro Can Design