T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend
HARTFORD, Conn. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (15-11-4-3) begin the 2019 portion of their schedule on Friday night as they play their second straight contest in Connecticut against the Hartford Wolf Pack (15-15-2-2) at 7:15 p.m. at the XL Center.
It marks the first of three straight games in three days for the Thunderbirds, who have home matchups looming against the Providence Bruins (14-15-5-0 entering weekend) on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. and against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (19-10-1-2 entering weekend) on Sunday at 3:05 p.m.
The Thunderbirds have been sliding of late, going 0-3-2-0 in their last five contests, with all five games being decided by a single goal. Springfield did earn points in each of their last two games of a three-game weekend to close out 2018, falling in overtime to Syracuse on Saturday night and in Hartford on Sunday afternoon.
Despite the results, the Thunderbirds offense has continued to soar, tallying 15 goals in their last four games. Springfield's offense ranks fifth in the AHL with 3.58 goals per game, and their power play has scored a league-high 43 times, including a 5-for-13 clip in their last three games.
By earning a point in overtime last Sunday in Hartford, the Thunderbirds have now secured a point in 19 of 24 all-time games against their I-91 rivals. Springfield holds a lifetime 15-5-2-2 mark against the Wolf Pack, including a 5-3-2-2 record on the road.
As the Thunderbirds return home Saturday, the club will sport Springfield Indians throwback jerseys on Blast from the Past Night presented by MassMutual. The jerseys will be auctioned live following the game to cap off a night with a 1990s look and feel. The Thunderbirds remain on home ice Sunday afternoon for a tangle with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the final Sunday afternoon home game of the season.
Springfield enters play this weekend with 37 points in the standings, two points behind Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for the fourth playoff spot in the Atlantic Division. The Thunderbirds, however, have three fewer games played than the Penguins.
Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Special Teams Pivotal in T-Birds Breakout Win at Providence
- Panthers Reassign F Cliff Pu to Springfield (AHL) from Greenville (ECHL)
- Desrosiers Debuts Strongly, But Wolf Pack Top T-Birds
- Driedger's Spectacular Effort Not Enough for T-Birds against Rochester
- T-Birds Honored by MA Providers' Council as Business Partner of Year