Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens
BELLEVILLE, ON - The Checkers kicked off a three-game Canadian road trip Friday night in Belleville and knocked off the Senators by a final score of 4-1.
Charlotte had only 11 forwards available for the game, but their offense showed no signs of stalling. Captain Patrick Brown got the scoring going early in the first period off a slick feed from Nick Schilkey, then the Checkers continued it in the next frame when Julien Gauthier found the back of the net on the power play.
Belleville would get one back just 5 minutes later, though, and the score stayed at 2-1 until Aleksi Saarela finished off a pretty 2-on-1 feed from Andrew Poturalski past a sprawled Senator defender to double Charlotte's lead with less than 2 minutes remaining in the middle frame. The Checkers would then put the game on ice when Nicolas Roy stuffed home a rebound just 1:15 into the final period, clinching a convincing 4-1 road victory.
Alex Nedeljkovic finished with 30 stops on 31 shots, including two impressive saves in the third period to keep the Senators' offense at bay.
Tonight extended the Checkers' point streak to three games ... The Checkers have now earned at least a point in six of their last seven road contests ... Tonight was the third time this season that Nedeljkovic has made at least 30 saves and the first time since Oct. 13 ... The Checkers exited the first period with a lead for the first time in their last four games ... Patrick Brown notched his fourth multi-point game of the season and extended his point streak to three games ... Jake Bean recorded his third multi-assist game of the season ... Aleksi Saarela and Nicolas Roy both recorded points for the second consecutive game ... Andrew Poturalski extended his scoring streak to three games and is now tied for eighth in the AHL in scoring ... Nick Schilkey scored his 13th point of the season tonight in his 24th game, surpassing his 48-game total as a rookie last season ... The Checkers only dressed 17 skaters (11 forwards, six defensemen) tonight ... Haydn Fleury, Martin Necas and Bobby Sanguinetti, all of whom recently joined the team, were extras tonight ... Janne Kuokkanen missed the game due to sickness ... Spencer Smallman and Josiah Didier missed the game due to injury
Charlotte will look to add to their AHL-best point total as they take on Belleville once again tomorrow evening at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Griffins Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Penguins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lone Goal Not Enough at Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Binnington Blanks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Start 2019 Strong with Shootout Win over Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four games in setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Start Strong, Tokarski Makes it Enough - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith Powers P-Bruins to 4-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Tame Sound Tigers, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bruins Hang on in First Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Denied by Checkers - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Lead in 5-1 Setback to Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Tokarski & Wolf Pack Stymie T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Start 2019 with 4-1 Stomping of Sens - Charlotte Checkers
- Brookbank Named to Chicago Staff, Sorensen Promoted to Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Drake Rymsha Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Pirri Returns from Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Sign Alex Sakellaropoulos to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Card Set Giveaway, Postgame Skate Highlight Sunday Slate - Rockford IceHogs
- Get Called up to New Jersey Courtesy of Labatt, Townsquare Media and Mirabito - Binghamton Devils
- Game #31 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- TSN Adds Three More American Hockey League Broadcasts - AHL
- Marlies Set for 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Canes Reassign Fleury to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Zadina Returns to Griffins After World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Announce Family Package for Family Day Weekend - Belleville Senators
- Kaut Returns from IIHF WJC Run with Czech Republic - Colorado Eagles
- Barracuda Set to Become the Worcester Sharks on January 13th - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Recall Demko from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Heat Chase Two Points against Roadrunners Friday - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Colorado and the Zooperstars Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Ottawa Recalls Balcers from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Continue Road Trip in Syracuse, Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Begin 2019 with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 'Canes Recall McKegg on Emergency Basis - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Plaid Hat Giveaway against Belleville Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Checkers, January 4 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.