Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1
Wheeling, WV - Corbin Kaczperski made 33 saves and the Iowa Heartlanders beat the Wheeling Nailers in back-to-back games this weekend, finishing off a 2-1 win Sunday at Wesbanco Arena. Iowa is four points out of the fourth and final playoff spot in the Central Division. Zach White scored the game-winning goal early in the second.
Kaczperski made 11 saves in each period, including a sprawling denial with 20 seconds to go on Wheeling's Justin Almeida to keep the Landers in front.
Iowa is home for a three-game home stand starting Wednesday vs. Indy. The Landers finished off this recent five-game road trip with a 3-1-1-0 record.
Kaid Oliver scored on the power play to open the scoring at 7:38 of the first, bagging a backhand on a rebound for his sixth professional goal. It marked the second straight game the Landers scored on a 5-on-3 advantage. White earned the primary assist and Jake Smith received the secondary. With the helper, Smith extended his point streak to eight straight game, second-longest in team history (Kris Bennett, 9 games). Wheeling's Justin Almeida responded with a man-up goal three minutes later and the score was tied, 1-1, after one.
White earned his second point with a slot interception to make it 2-1 Iowa at 3:45 of the second. Wheeling attempted a blind pass that entered the left slot. White swooped from the blue line, stole the puck, deked to the backhand, then finished on his forehand for his fourth of the season.
Stefanos Lekkas made 16 saves in defeat.
Upcoming Home Games
Wednesday, January 26th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Indy - College Night
Friday, January 28th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Boy Scouts Night
Saturday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Marvel © theme night
Season ticket memberships, group tickets, mini-plans, flex vouchers and single-game tickets are available for the Heartlanders inaugural season by calling 319-569-GOAL and visiting iowaheartlanders.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.