Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies defeat the Allen Americans 4-3 on Sunday afternoon to sweep the 3-game series. Utah finished the season series with a perfect 5-0 record against the Americans.
Allen scored first as Jackson Leppard got a power play goal 8:51 in. Allen scored first in all 3 games in the weekend series. Utah's Zac Robbins tied the game 12:53 as he scored is 4th of the year. Chad Butcher gave Allen a 2-1 lead 13:39 in on a great centering pass from Chad Costello. The Grizz tied the game with 1:40 left as Matthew Boucher scored a shorthanded goal. It was Boucher's 4th shorthanded goal this season and the Grizzlies 15th of the campaign. The score was tied 2-2 after 1 period with Allen outshooting Utah 11 to 7.
Brian Bowen gave the Grizz a lead as he redirected a Mason Mannek shot 13:37 into the 2nd. Less than 3 minutes later Charle-Edouard D'Astous scored his team leading 14th of the year. His goal turned out to be the game winner. Utah led 4-2 after 2 periods. The Grizzlies are now 18-0 when leading after 2 periods.
Leppard scored his 2nd of the game 14:09 into the 3rd period to cut into the Utah lead. Utah withstood a furious rally from Allen to complete the 3 game weekend sweep and the 5 game season series sweep. It's the first time in Allen Americans history where they were swept in a season series by a division opponent.
Trent Miner saved 21 of 24 in net for Utah to earn his 10th win of the year. Allen's Hayden Lavigne saved 34 of 38 in the loss. Nate Clurman had a +3 rating for Utah in the win as their record goes to 25-12-1-1 and a .667 points percentage. The Grizz are in first place in the Mountain Division. Tulsa entered Sunday in 2nd place and a .574 points %.
The Grizz head to the Sunshine state for a 3 game road trip. They face the Florida Everblades on Wednesday, January 26th. Utah is at Orlando for 2 games on January 27th and 31st. The next homestand for Utah is a 2-game set on Grizzlies Fight Cancer Weekend against Jacksonville on February 3-4 at 7:10 pm.
Charle-Edouard D'Astous (Utah) - GWG 16:00 into the second period.
Andrew Nielsen (Utah) - 2 assists, +2.
Jackson Leppard (Allen) - 2 goals.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Grizzlies Stories
- Grizz Win 5-1 to Advance to Western Conference Finals
- Grizz Look to Reach Conference Finals for First Time Since 2008
- Rush Blanks Grizz 3-0 to Extend Playoff Series
- Rush Defeat Grizz 3-0 to Extend Series to 6th Game
- Grizzlies Gameday: Game 5 in the Black Hills. Utah Leads Series 3-1