Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears
PORTLAND, ME - Pat Shea registered his first career multi-goal game to lead the Mariners to a 4-1 win over the Orlando Solar Bears on Sunday afternoon at the Cross Insurance Arena. The Mariners took two of three from the Solar Bears, and split the season series at two games apiece.
A physical game throughout, Maine's Jake Bricknell dropped the gloves with Solar Bears defenseman Luke McInnis midway through the opening period. With less than three minutes to play in the period, Pat Shea was robbed by Solar Bears netminder Brad Barone, but buried a rebound over his pad to open the scoring. Linemates Nick Master and Mathew Santos picked up assists.
More fireworks were set off at 16:02 of the second when Orlando's Tyler Bird boarded Mariners captain Connor Doherty. Bird and Bleackley were penalized and further pushing and shoving proceeded between the benches during the break in action. As a result, Doherty and Chad Duchesne also received roughing penalties. Despite 33 combined shots in the middle frame, neither team was able to find the net.
Early in the 3rd, Mathew Santos gave the Mariners some insurance, finishing an impressive setup from Nick Master and Zach Malatesta. Malatesta ripped the puck across the offensive zone to Master at the right circle. Master tucked the puck around the pad of Barone and left it sitting in the crease for Santos to clean up. At 6:06 of the period, Shea found his wheels, taking a pass from Josh Couturier and breaking in alone on Barone. Shea flip it over Barone's glove hand for a 3-0 Maine lead. Although Luke Boka broke Callum Booth's shutout bid at 16:14, Cam Askew answered with a long empty netter a minute later to bring the game to its 4-1 final score.
Booth earned his third win of the season with 31 saves. Barone stopped 38 in the loss.
The Mariners (15-14-3-1) continue their homestand with another $3 Deweys "3Kend" next weekend, hosting three different opponents: Worcester, Reading, and Trois-Rivieres. Friday's game against the Railers is "Hype Night," with a rally towel giveaway presented by Mann Law. It's also a 1-2-3 Friday: $1 popcorn, $2 hot dogs, and $3 Bud Light Drafts through the start of the 2nd period. The puck drops at 7:15 PM Individual tickets for all games can be purchased online at MarinersOfMaine.com/tickets or by visiting the Trusted Choice Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.