Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, fell to the Trois-Rivières Lions in overtime, 3-2, Sunday, Jan. 23 at Santander Arena. Royals goaltender Kirill Ustimenko saved 34 of 37 shots, while Lions goalie Tristan Bérube saved 30 of 32.
Trois-Rivières got on the board first halfway through the opening period after a penalty kill turned into an offensive opportunity. Straight out of the penalty box, Cedric Montminy joined the Lions' 3-on-2 rush towards Ustimenko's net as William Leblanc skated through the Royals' zone. Leblanc scored on a wrist shot snapped underneath of Ustimenko's left pad, lighting the lamp for an early Lions lead, 1-0.
Dominic Cormier tied the game for Reading on a broken up pass attempt that sent the puck back onto his stick blade right in front of Bérube's crease. Cormier fired the bouncing puck past Bérube's glove to tie the game. Minutes later, Alexis D'Aoust skated into the slot and ripped a wrist shot past Ustimenko's helmet and under the crossbar to put Trois-Rivières back in the lead, 2-1.
12:47 into the second period, Jackson Cressey scored the Royals' second short-handed goal of the season. An errant pass from Anthony Nellis sent the puck into the neutral zone where Cressey picked it up in stride, raced toward Bérube's net, and beat the Lions' net-minder with a backhand dangle around his left pad to tie the game, 2-2.
After a scoreless third period, overtime set the stage for Olivier Archambault to be the OT hero for the Lions. Crashing towards the Royals' net on a breakaway, Archambault beat the laid out, right pad save attempt of Ustimenko, winning the game for the Lions 3:50 into the extra frame.
The Royals take on the Adirondack Thunder Friday, Jan. 28, at 7:00 p.m. at Cool Insuring Arena.
Buy tickets HERE: www.royalshockey.com/promotions
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Season Ends in Game 7 as Growlers Complete Series Comeback
- Royals Clash with Growlers in Must-Win Game 7 at Home
- Royals Fall Short of Comeback as Growlers Force Game 7
- Royals Host Growlers for Game 6 with a Chance to Clinch on Home Ice
- Gogolev Scores a Pair as Growlers Avoid Elimination by Royals in Game 5