Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa
The Newfoundland Growlers dropped their second on the road in as many days as they were topped 5-1 by the Tulsa Oilers on Sunday evening at BOK Center.
Jimmy Soper opened the scoring for the Oilers midway through the first period as he found himself in alone on a partial breakaway, beating Keith Petruzzelli to make it 1-0.
Soper would make it a pair just moments later as he once again found himself in plenty of space in front of the Growlers net, sniping past Petruzzelli to put Tulsa up 2-0 with seven minutes left in the 1st.
Orrin Centazzo would get one back for the Growlers on the brink of the first intermission as his power-play blast got by Daniel Mannella with 1:54 left in the opening frame. Newfoundland trailed 2-1 after 20 minutes.
After keeping the Oilers at bay in the first portion of the second period, a Growlers turnover in the defensive zone was punished by Darren McCormack with under eight minutes to go in the second, giving Tulsa a 3-1 advantage.
The deficit would become three before the second intermission as Adam Pleskach made it 4-1 for the Oilers heading into the third period.
Pleskach would also pick up a second goal in this one as he put the game out of reach with 3:47 remaining, sliding one into an empty Growlers net to make it a 5-1 final.
Orrin Centazzo scored five times across this weekend's three games.
Former Growler Jimmy Soper scored the game-winner for the Oilers.
Sunday marked the first-ever meeting between Newfoundland and Tulsa.
1. TUL - J. Soper
2. TUL - A. Pleskach
3. TUL - D. Mannella
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.