Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, play the Trois-Rivieres Lions Saturday, Jan. 23 at 3:00 p.m. at Santander Arena in Reading, PA. This is the 7th of 12 meetings between the two teams this season. The Royals are 2-2-2 against the Lions, scoring 13 goals and allowing 24.
Kirk MacDonald talks pregame with Erik Jesberger
The Royals defeated the Lions Saturday, Jan. 22, 2-1, at home. Trevor Gooch's third power play goal of the season opened the scoring 56 seconds into the game for an early Reading lead, 1-0. Officials enforced seven penalties between both teams in the opening frame. Gooch scored the lone power play goal, converting on the first of two power plays in the game for Reading while the Lions went 0-for-3 on the man-advantage.
Brayden Low extended the Royals' lead to two in the third period, scoring his 10th goal of the season with a backhand shot put over the left pad of Carmine-Anthony Pagliarulo. The Lions responded shortly after when Olivier Archambault tapped in a loose puck in Hayden Hawkey's crease, setting the score at 2-1 where it remained until the final horn.
The Royals now sit in second place in the North Division. They play three games against divisional opponents before a three-game series with the first-place Newfoundland Growlers beginning on Feb. 2. Reading holds a 17-8-4-1 record with a .650 win percentage. They sit behind the Growlers with a .739 win percentage. The Growlers have played seven fewer games than Reading and sit at the top of the North Division, with Trois-Rivieres hoisting a .596 win percentage in third. Maine holds fourth place at .500 and Adirondack sits in fifth posting a .491 win percentage. The Railers are last with a .419 win percentage in 31 games.
Sunday, Jan. 23 at 3:00 p.m. vs. Trois-Rivieres - It's Undie Sundie/Country Night! Donate packaged underwear by throwing it on the ice after the Royals' first goal of the game. All undergarments will be donated to charity. The first 2,000 fans will receive a puck giveaway presented by Berks-Schuylkill Oil Heat Association. Get $1 popcorn, nachos and hot dogs all game. It's also a Salute to Essential Workers Sunday presented by Visions Federal Credit Union for trades workers.
Buy tickets HERE: www.royalshockey.com/promotions
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
Images from this story
Reading Royals forward Trevor Gooch in the team's Superman jersey
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Season Ends in Game 7 as Growlers Complete Series Comeback
- Royals Clash with Growlers in Must-Win Game 7 at Home
- Royals Fall Short of Comeback as Growlers Force Game 7
- Royals Host Growlers for Game 6 with a Chance to Clinch on Home Ice
- Gogolev Scores a Pair as Growlers Avoid Elimination by Royals in Game 5