Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory
West Valley City, Utah - Matthew Boucher had 2 goals and 1 assist and Ben Tardif had 3 assists to lead the Utah Grizzlies to a 5-2 win over the Allen Americans on Saturday night at Maverik Center.
Allen got on the board first as Gavin Gould redirected an Eric Roy shot 9:59 in. 1 minute 26 seconds later Brian Bowen tied the game with his 11th of the year. The score was tied at 1-1 after 20 minutes of play.
Tyler Penner gave Utah a 2-1 lead 10:41 into the second period. It's Penner's 11th goal of the campaign. Utah led 2-1 after 2 periods. Utah is now 17-0 when leading after 40 minutes of play.
Nick Henry redirected a Nate Clurman shot to give Utah a big insurance goal 58 seconds into the third. 41 seconds later Jack Combs scored for Allen to cut in to the Grizz lead. Matthew Boucher was awarded a penalty shot 9:48 in as Utah was on the penalty kill and Boucher was held on a Breakaway. Boucher scored past Allen's Hayden Lavigne to make it a 4-2 game. Boucher added an empty net goal with 1:03 left as Utah has now won 9 of their last 10 home games.
Trent Miner saved 21 of 23 in net as he picked up his team leading 9th win of the year. Allen's Hayden Lavigne saved 36 of 40 in the loss. Utah outshot Allen 41 to 23.
The Grizz are 4-0 against Allen this season. They look for the series and season sweep on Sunday afternoon at 1:10 pm. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or by calling (801) 988-8000.
1. Matthew Boucher (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist. +1. 11 shots.
2. Brian Bowen (Utah) - 1 goal. +1. 5 shots.
3. Nick Henry (Utah) - 1 goal.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 23, 2022
- Manchurek, Dickman Lead Thunder Past Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Fraser Nails Game-Winner, Walleye Complete Comeback over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Fall 4-3 in Series Finale - Allen Americans
- Rush Best Steelheads, 3-1, in Series Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Fall in OT to the Lions to Finish out a Three-Point Weekend - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall 5-1 to the Oilers in Tulsa - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting - Tulsa Oilers
- Kaczperski's Brilliance Stymies Wheeling, 2-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kalamazoo Stunned by Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kaczperski, Heartlanders Puzzle Nailers, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 to Complete Season Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Clip the Wings for 4-3 Win Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Iced by Mariners in 4-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Archambault Wins It for the Lions in OT - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Stingrays Breakout with Finale Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizz Win 4-3 to Complete Weekend Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Erupt Offensively In 7-3 Win Over Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Shea's Pair of Goals Freezes Solar Bears - Maine Mariners
- Bernard Recalled to Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 23 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman DiTomaso Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Royals Host Lions in Back-To-Back at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Maine Mariners: January 23, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wichita Closes Weekend this Afternoon against Mavericks - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Wanting to End the Road Trip on a Positive Note - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Grizz Look for Sunday Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Game Day: Americans Looking to Avoid the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Strong 3rd Period in Grizz 5-2 Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Fall at Home to Steelheads, 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Still Winless against Utah this Season - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.