Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 OT Win Saturday Night
It was a battle of the superheroes Saturday night at the Maverik Center. The Maine Mariners, flashing Iron Man jerseys, squared off against the Utah Grizzlies, who were decked out in Captain America garb. Which superhero would prove victorious? With the score deadlocked at 3-3 in the third period, both teams had breakaways and each goalie, Maine's Connor LaCouvee, and Utah's Joe Cannata, stood tall. As the game headed to overtime, Utah's Josh Dickinson summoned his powers, skated down the ice, drove through defenders and ended the Grizzlies' seven game winless streak. Already having a depleted lineup due to numerous injuries and a one game suspension to Ryan Walters, the Grizzlies gathered their collective shield and powered to a 4-3 victory.
"There's a lot of character in that room, a lot of heart and soul," head coach Tim Branham. "You can't say enough about the jobs these guys have done in that locker room. When the going gets tough for this group they respond. We had a little bit of a skid there but that was a lot of adversity and there is light at the end of the tunnel. We're ready to get on a roll."
Dickinson, who was responsible for a huge goal Friday night to send that game into overtime, was even better tonight and with the way Cannata played in net, Dickinson and the Grizzlies weren't about to be denied. "We've been through a lot lately and we bound together and wanted to win for each other and nip the streak in the bud," Dickinson said. "When your goalie is making amazing saves back to back to back, you want to win for him too."
In the third with the score deadlocked at two goals apiece, Maine forward John Furgele, already in possession of a goal, attempted the tried but true wraparound and was rewarded as he snuck the puck past Cannata. Shortly after, Utah's Cole Ully, who had already recorded a pair of goals in the series, blistered the net with his third goal since his return, tying the contest at 3-3.
The second period started poorly for Utah as the Mariners' fired two shots and with them two goals. Furgele and forward Greg Chase both launched top-shelf shots that blazed the net. Utah bounced back, however, at the 12:11 mark on a power play as Caleb Herbert waited patiently with the puck for LaCouvee to bite and he did, tying the contest at 2-2.
Although the Grizzlies spent the majority of the first period in the penalty box, they were able to accumulate a goal and with it a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes by an unlikely candidate: Will Smith. Recording just his second goal in a Grizzlie uniform, his shot deflected off the post and found the back of the net.
Utah's penalty kill was sensational once again and that, more than anything, led to the three points gathered in the series as the Grizzlies head to the road with a much needed victory and a sigh of relief in hand.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies in Captain America uniforms
Utah Grizzlies defenseman Teigan Zahn (right) against the Maine Mariners
Utah Grizzlies defenseman Joey Raats (right) against the Maine Mariners
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2019
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 OT Win Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Dickinson Wins Game in OT for Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Hafner Impressive in Allen Debut, But Offense Stalls in 2-1 Loss - Allen Americans
- Nogard's Two Points Fall Shortin Loss to Royals - Norfolk Admirals
- Eick's Shorthanded Third Period Goal Lifts Kansas City over Idaho, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Take 5 of 6 Points on Utah Trip - Maine Mariners
- Rays Come up Short on Pink in the Rink Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Build Early Lead, Cruise to Critical Victory over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears See Nine-Game Home Point Streak Halted in Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Ride Raucous Crowd to Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Edge Americans 2-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Vail Sends 'Clones to 40th Victory with Overtime Winner - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Special Effort: 'Blades Trump Orlando, 4-2 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Drop 2-1 Result to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Record One Point against Cyclones - Wheeling Nailers
- Fast First Period Sinks Wings 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Sink Admirals' Battleship, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Drop Road Contest in Greenville 5-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Rattled by Thunder, 8-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Rally to Defeat Growlers 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nashville Recalls Magwood to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Acquires Kelly Cup Winning Dman De Jong - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Acquire 2018 Kelly Cup Champion Verpaelst in Trade - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- 'Blades Announce Trio of Transactions - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, March 2, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Bring in Goaltender Logan Thompson - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Riley Bourbonnais to PTO - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Mike Szmatula Released from PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Royals Seek Weekend Sweep Before Canadian Swing - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Wings Look to Bounce Back in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Meltdown Leads to Tulsa Win - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Lose 4-3 in a Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.