Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0
Hartford, CT - Igor Shesterkin chalked up his second shutout of the season for the Hartford Wolf Pack Friday night at the XL Center, making 26 saves in a 4-0 win over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, in the front end of a home-and-home between the two teams.
Nick Jones scored twice for the Wolf Pack, and Nick Ebert and Lewis Zerter-Gossage also had Hartford goals.
"Obviously, Shesty is Shesty," said Ebert of the Wolf Pack goaltender. "He comes in on a nightly basis, and he makes saves most goalies can't. It makes things a lot easier having him back there."
Both teams unsuccessfully traded power play chances until the Wolf Pack finally broke the tie with 3:55 left in the period. Ebert pinched in and snuck a shot between Phantoms goaltender Alex Lyon (26 saves) and the post for his fourth goal of the year. Phil Di Giuseppe and Vinni Lettieri both assisted on the goal. The tally would prove to be the only one of the period.
Hartford continued its scoring ways in the second period, when Zerter-Gossage scored his second of the year, giving the Pack a 2-0 lead just under seven minutes into the frame. The goal was unassisted. After the goal, both teams would shut down defensively for the period, something that has been a strength for the Wolf Pack throughout the season.
"Our whole defensive corps have been good together, individually and as a group," said Wolf Pack head coach Kris Knoblauch. "We have a lot of good options on the back end, it makes things easier for us."
Defense continued to be the story in the third period, until Jones scored his third goal of the year off a Darren Raddysh rebound with 12:15 left in the period. Vincent LoVerde also had an assist on the goal.
"It was good to get that goal and close the door," said Ebert of the goal.
Lehigh Valley pulled Lyon in the dying minutes of the game, but with 39.8 seconds left to play the Wolf Pack went on a power play, and Jones scored his second of the period. Joey Keane and Yegor Rykov assisted on the late tally.
"Jones has been strong all year," said Knoblauch. "He makes everyone he plays with better. That's the sign of a good player, he's one of the most consistent players on our team."
The Wolf Pack and Phantoms meet again Saturday night at the PPL Center in Allentown, PA, with faceoff at 7:05 PM. The next home game for the Wolf Pack is their last action before Christmas, a battle with the Providence Bruins Saturday, December 21. That game faces off at 7:00.
Tickets for all 2019-20 Wolf Pack home games are on sale now at the Sunwave Gas & Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Tickets purchased in advance for kids 12 or younger start at just $10 each, and all tickets will have a $3 day-of-game increase.
To speak with a Wolf Pack representative about season or group tickets, or any of the Wolf Pack's many ticketing options, call (860) 722-9425. To visit the Wolf Pack on line, go to www.hartfordwolfpack.com.
Lehigh Valley Phantoms 0 at Hartford Wolf Pack 4
Friday - XL Center
Lehigh Valley 0 0 0 - 0
Hartford 1 1 2 - 4
1st Period-1, Hartford, Ebert 4 (Di Giuseppe, Lettieri), 16:05. Penalties-Criscuolo Lv (tripping), 4:25; Ebert Hfd (interference), 8:48.
2nd Period-2, Hartford, Zerter-Gossage 2 6:46. Penalties-No Penalties
3rd Period-3, Hartford, Jones 3 (Raddysh, LoVerde), 7:45. 4, Hartford, Jones 4 (Keane, Rykov), 19:25 (PP). Penalties-Bunnaman Lv (holding), 10:02; Keane Hfd (hooking), 13:26; Carey Lv (high-sticking), 19:20.
Shots on Goal-Lehigh Valley 5-11-10-26. Hartford 7-10-13-30.
Power Play Opportunities-Lehigh Valley 0 / 2; Hartford 1 / 3.
Goalies-Lehigh Valley, Lyon 6-7-2 (30 shots-26 saves). Hartford, Shesterkin 11-3-3 (26 shots-26 saves).
Referees-Carter Sandlak (6), Chris Waterstradt (88).
Linesmen-Frank Murphy (29), Luke Galvin (2).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Alex Whelan
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Austin Rueschhoff
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman K'Andre Miller