Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- After the Syracuse Crunch built a two-goal lead, the Charlotte Checkers rallied with three unanswered goals to steal a 3-2 win tonight at Bojangles' Coliseum.
Gemel Smith and Chris Mueller potted the only goals in the first period before Charlotte went on a run that downed Syracuse and dropped the team to 14-10-2-0 on the season. The Checkers are 3-0-0-0 in the four-game season series.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 26-of-29 in net for the Crunch. Alex Nedeljkovic turned aside 16-of-18 between the pipes for the Checkers. Syracuse went 1-for-3 on the power play, while Charlotte was 1-for-5.
The Crunch were first on the board 4:44 into the game. After Danick Martel forced a turnover in the neutral zone, Alex Barre-Boulet grabbed the loose puck and skated it back into the zone. The puck rolled off his stick as he toe-dragged around a defender, but Smith followed behind and sent home a slap shot from the high slot.
Syracuse doubled their lead with a power-play goal late in the opening frame. Cory Conacher faked a shot from the right circle before passing down to Barre-Boulet along the goal line. He quickly redirected the puck across the crease for Mueller to finish off on the back door.
The Checkers began their comeback at the 8:07 mark of the second period. Jake Bean's shot was stopped by Martin, but the rebound went up for David Gust to knock in out of midair. Morgan Geekie earned the secondary assist.
Halfway through the third, Charlotte tied the game during 5-on-3 play. Geekie and Kuokkanen passed back and forth along the end boards before feeding Chase Priskie for a one-timer from the right circle.
Charlotte took the lead with 2:37 remaining in the final frame. Kuokkanen dug the puck out from the right corner boards and sent it towards Geekie wheo settled it down and threw a shot on net that got past Martin.
The Crunch and Checkers rematch tomorrow at 6 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Gemel Smith has four goals in the last two games...Cory Conacher is on a five-game points streak (3g, 4a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Stanley Steemer Teddy and Toy Toss Drive-Thru December 5
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Devante Stephens to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson