Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters beat the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 4-0 on Friday night at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. With the win, the Monsters are now 13-11-1-2 and are currently in seventh place in the AHL's North Division standings with 29 points.
Monsters' forward Kevin Stenlund extended his point streak to 10 games in the opening period with his power-play goal at 15:40 assisted by Stefan Matteau and Nathan Gerbe to give Cleveland the 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.
Cleveland doubled the lead after Jakob Lilja notched a tally at 10:37 in the middle frame with helpers from Justin Scott and Calvin Thurkauf to go into the final intermission up 2-0.
Lilja scored his second goal of the night in unassisted fashion at 10:58 in the final period before Marko Dano added an empty-net insurance marker at 19:09 with assists from Matteau and Ryan MacInnis.
Matiss Kivlenieks made 23 saves for the win while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's Casey DeSmith stopped 26 pucks in the loss.
The Monsters host the rematch against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday night with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on SportsTime Ohio, ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters exchange congratulations along the bench
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2020-21 Regular-Season Schedule Presented by SeatGeek
- Monsters Announce Five Roster Additions
- Columbus Blue Jackets Announce Roster Moves Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine