Wolves Sunk by Admirals
MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin - The Milwaukee Admirals answered an early Chicago Wolves goal to claim a 4-1 victory over the Wolves on Friday night at Panther Arena.
Forward Reid Duke scored for the third game in a row to pace the Wolves (11-15-2-0). Goaltender Garret Sparks rejected 28 shots against the Central Division-leading Admirals (20-4-2-2), who visit the Wolves Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Duke gave the Wolves the lead at 11:06 of the first. Center Nicolas Roy centered a pass toward the front of the crease for forward Paul Cotter, who redirected it off the post. Duke claimed the puck near the iron, carried it through the crease toward the other post and shoved it home while Milwaukee goaltender Troy Grosenick lay helplessly on his side.
Milwaukee answered at 12:39 on Anthony Richard's rebound. He pounced on the moving puck in the left faceoff circle and one-timed it top-shelf past Sparks.
The feverish first period ended in a 1-1 knot despite Milwaukee owning a 3-0 edge in power plays and an 18-5 advantage in shots.
The Admirals took the lead for good at 1:15 of the second on defenseman Frederic Allard's blast from the right faceoff circle. Forward Tanner Jeannot carried the puck down the left wing toward the goal line, then spied Allard coming down the right side alone. Jeannot put his pass on Allard's tape for the quick shot and the 2-1 lead.
Milwaukee pushed its lead to 3-1 on Tommy Novak's backhand at 11:32 as he jumped out of the penalty box right into a 2-on-1 rush. Cole Schneider dished the puck into the middle of the ice to give Novak a chance to go one-on-one against Sparks.
The Wolves couldn't get closer despite welcoming forwards Gage Quinney, Keegan Kolesar and Tyrell Goulbourne back into the lineup after a combined 22 games missed due to injury.
Chicago thought it pulled within 3-2 with 2:59 left when center Patrick Brown fired home a goal on the power play, but the officials waved it off immediately and signaled goaltender interference on Kolesar.
Shortly thereafter, Schneider flipped home an empty-net goal to give the Admirals a 4-1 advantage. Grosenick (10-2-2) stopped 22 shots for the win while Sparks (4-9-2) dropped his eighth decision in a row.
The Wolves return to Allstate Arena at 7 p.m. Saturday to face the Milwaukee Admirals on Star Wars Night. To find the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Unveil 2020-21 Schedule
- Chicago Wolves Add First-Rounder Dominik Bokk
- Chicago Wolves Receive 13 from Carolina
- Chicago Wolves Partner with the #SameHere Global Mental Health Movement to Create Project Thrive
- Chicago Wolves Add Nashville Affiliation for 2020-21