Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0
CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins lost to the Cleveland Monsters, 4-0, on Friday night at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse.
Friday the 13th proved to be an unlucky showing for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-10-3-1), which out-possessed its opponent in the first and third periods, but were unable to capitalize on Cleveland goalie MatÄ«ss Kivlenieks.
The Penguins were abuzz from the start of the game, but a window of opportunity opened for the Monsters late in the first period, and they seized it. Kevin Stenlund scored on a one-timer at 14:08 while Cleveland was on a two-man advantage.
The Monsters extended their lead a little over half way through the second period. Casey DeSmith turned aside Justin Scott on a mini-break after a turnover in the Penguins' zone and then followed that up by denying Jakob Lilja on the rebound. However, Lilja scooped up the puck for a third attempt that slid past the Penguins' goaltender and in.
Kivlenieks made a flurry of stops on the Penguins after they pulled the goalie for an extra attacker late in the final frame. Eventually, Marko Dao found the empty net for the Monsters, sealing the 4-0 win.
Kivlenieks was awarded a 23-save shutout, while DeSmith posted 26 saves on 29 shots in defeat.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will get right back after it again tomorrow, Saturday, Dec. 14, in a rematch with the Cleveland Monsters at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The Penguins' next home game is Wednesday, Dec. 18 against the Providence Bruins. Puck drop between the Penguins and Bruins is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Use More Bellerive Heroics for Overtime Win
- Weekly: Penguins Continue to Accumulate Points Before All-Star Break
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars
- Penguins Stalled by Stars, 5-2