After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back
For more than a month, Joseph LaBate sat on the sidelines.
And when he would return was unknown. It was the first time the 26-year-old had had to deal with an injury of this magnitude.
It was a 14-game absence to be exact.
"It was really tough," LaBate said. "It was my first time with an injury like that and I didn't really know what to expect at first. There's some good days and some days that were pretty miserable but I'm happy to be feeling better and to be back on the ice with the guys."
After being injured Oct. 27 in Providence, LaBate returned last Friday and grabbed an assist in the process and was back to his typical hard-nosed, forechecking role that he's become known for.
Senators head coach Troy Mann certainly noticed his presence back in the lineup.
"We obviously have the skill and speed up front but you need to balance your forward group with players who play the style that LaBate brings to the table," Mann said. "He's physical, gets on the forecheck and he's willing to block shots not only 5-on-5 but on the penalty kill too. Guys like him are always a piece of the puzzle to make you successful because you can't just run out skill guys and I think those guys, Parker Kelly, Cole Cassels and Andrew Sturtz too, bring a huge balance to our lineup."
For that reason, LaBate was patient in his recovery. He wanted to return to play his style of game without any limitations.
"I took the time that I did to get back to 100 per cent so I can jump back on the ice to do exactly what I need to do for my job and help the team win," LaBate said. "I think I'm playing my best when I am doing that."
With more than 60 per cent of the regular season to play, LaBate, who resigned with Belleville in the offseason, is hoping to knuckle down and send the Sens to its first ever playoff appearance. He has three assists in nine games this year and 16 points (eight goals) in 70 games with the Senators.
"Obviously being out for that extended time is always tough when you can't help the team win but it's great the team went on a bit of a streak there and hopefully we can get back on another one.
"It's just really good to be back."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa's 2021 23-Man Roster Includes Seven Belleville Graduates Plus Three More on Taxi Squad
- Colby Williams Signs One Year AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Reinhardt Earns Amateur Tryout with Belleville Senators
- LaBate Inks a New AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Cassels Rejoins Belleville Senators on One Year AHL Deal