Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado
LOVELAND, CO. - San Diego goaltender Kevin Boyle made 41 saves on 42 shots and denied both shooters that he faced in a shootout to help the Gulls defeat the Colorado Eagles, 2-1 on Friday. Jayson Megna scored the Eagles only goal on the night, while goalie Hunter Miska delivered another strong performance in net, denying 33 of the 34 shots he faced in 65 minutes of action. The shootout loss did secure a point in the standings for Colorado, but extends the Eagles winless streak to five games.
San Diego would begin the contest by outshooting Colorado 8-2 in the early minutes of the first period. The Eagles would begin to push back in the latter stages of the second period, mounting three power plays in the first 20 minutes. Despite creating some quality chances, Boyle would keep the net clean and the two teams would head to the first intermission still scoreless.
The scoring would finally begin early in the second period when forward Corey Tropp connected on the power play with a shot from the low slot that would light the lamp and give the Gulls a 1-0 edge just 1:06 into the middle frame.
Colorado would generate the equalizer on a play that saw the puck glide through the slot with Megna in hot pursuit. As Boyle lunged to poke the puck away, Megna would deflect the puck off Boyle and then off the stick of a Gulls defenseman and into the back of the net. The tally ran Megna's a goal streak to three straight contests and tied the game at 1-1 with 7:28 left in the period.
Still deadlocked at 1-1 after 40 minutes, the Eagles and San Diego would continue to create chances on net in the third period. However, Boyle and Miska would continue to steal the show, sending the game to a sudden-death overtime.
The extra session would see the Gulls outshoot Colorado, 6-4, but neither team would light the lamp and the contest would head to a shootout. Gulls forwards Alex Broadhurst and Justin Kloos would both convert on their opportunities in the shootout, while Eagles forwards Martin Kaut and A.J. Greer were stymied by Boyle, giving San Diego the 2-1 victory.
The Eagles outshot the Gulls, 42-35 as Colorado finished the night going 0-for-4 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they host the San Diego Gulls on Saturday, December 14th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2019
- Roadrunners Outlast Rampage in Record Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Gulls Go to Shootout to Stay Perfect against Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Boyle Backstops Gulls to 2-1 Shootout Victory over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Texas Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Steals Two Points in 3-2 Victory over the Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Texas Sweeps Manitoba in 3-2 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Take Down Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Fight off Rocket for 3-2 Win in Laval - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Sunk by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Post Game Notes: Stars 3 vs. Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Shesterkin, Pack Shut out Lehigh Valley, 4-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Friday the 13th Not Kind to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tippett Line Sets Tone in Bounce-Back Win over Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Blank Penguins, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Sens Win First Meeting with Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Complete Clutch Comeback over Crunch - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Rally Past Crunch, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Can't Overcome Slow Start In Loss To Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall To T-Birds 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Blues Recall Niko Mikkola - San Antonio Rampage
- After 14-Game Absence, LaBate Thrilled to be Back - Belleville Senators
- Flames Assign Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - San Jose Barracuda
- Markus Phillips Reassigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Red Wings Recall Bowey - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Recall Burke from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. IceHogs, December 13 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 13, 2019 at Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Recall Tommy Marchin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Wrap up Long Homestand to Start 3-In-3 Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 25 Preview: Tucson at San Antonio - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Colorado Eagles Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule
- Eagles Ink Goaltender Gahagen to AHL Contract
- Colorado to Face Stockton in 2020-21 Regular Season Opener
- Eagles Sign Four Avalanche Draft Picks to Tryout Agreements
- Eagles Sign Forward Alexandre Fortin to AHL Contract